Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few general questions about my truck that I haven't been able to figure out on my own. Was wondering if someone else can lend knowledge? 315k miles zf6 crew cab. I want to do whatever I can now to ensure I won't have any surprises in the next year or 2 while I'm completely broke, relying on it as a daily driver to school full time.
Firstly, I had a oil analysis done and it came back good except a very small amount of coolant was found in the oil, they said not enough to do damage but still enough to show on their testing. Not to sure what to do about that.
Secondly I had a compression test done and it was cyl1 340, 2 360, 3 340, 4 350, 5 340, 6 340, 7 320, 8 340.
I was told by mechanic that the motor was on its way out and not worth replacing injectors. I replaced them anyways and he recommended AB inj. For cyl1 through cyl6. And then AE (Long Lead) for cyl7 and cyl8.
It runs okay now and it's been about a year. Reverted to stock tuning just to be safe. I did notice a power loss over the past year and when I towed about 8k pounds it felt like I was driving a Honda Civic trying to get up to speed and was smoking black in every intersection. No check engine light and Im not sure about soft codes because the truck doesn't seem to like obd2 scanners.
I'm wondering if I should be looking into this to avoid any long term damage? OR do you guys recommend doing what I've been doing which is drive it and don't worry about it hah. Thank you in advance! I'm going for longevity not performance so problems like these worry me. There's Alot of info I left out so let me know if there's anything needed to make a better answer to this problem. P.S. I believe it's a early 99.

·
PSN intsigator
6,266 Posts
It's really hard to predict the future on what could happen. If you listen to her she will normally give you warning signs. And sometimes its BAM, no warning

·
PSN intsigator
6,266 Posts
As far as compression it don't seem that bad to me, new is like 400 to 420. The main thing is to look at the variance between the cylinders. No more than 15 to 20 between adjoining cylinders and 40 to 50 between any of them.

Pick up a spare CPS an IPR, motorcraft ones only an put in your glovebox and wait.

Good luck with school

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
I do believe it's an e99 too. So one weird thing is the ab injectors are 120cc and the ae injectors are 140cc. No big difference but the mechanic lead you wrong.

The coolant in the oil could be injector cups or oil cooler. Check for oil or diesel in the coolant.

Sounds like you have a boost leak. Google boost leak tester 7.3

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Check the driver's side cac pipe for a hole. They tend to rub on the power steering box.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Check your intake plenums for leaks as well as CAC piping. Check your up pipes for leaks.

As far as compression goes, the 320 is low. But because it’s “relatively” close to the others you haven’t noticed a specific cylinder issue yet. The engine is getting tired, IMO. But it’s not there quite yet. You could replace the injectors, but with replacing tired injectors and fixing intake and exhaust leaks, you’ll be increasing cylinder pressure and putting more stress on cylinder sealing, possibly resulting in more blow by than you have now. when it finally gives up, you just put those new injectors in the next engine.

As far as the coolant, check the front cover behind the water pump for porosity. Unlikely it’s the oil cooler or seals since you have no oil in the coolant that you mentioned. Only other possible spots would be from injector cups (although you’d likely have fuel in the coolant too) or a head gasket (not as common).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts