Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first diesel and it's a 1999 Econoline box truck with a 7.3. On initial start-up of the day, it doesn't want to wake up easily. I have to sit and nurse it (patting accelerator, possibly restarting) for about 10 minutes before it will sit and idle by itself. Then I have to let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes before it's willing to be driven. I do not live in a cold part of the country. I live in Mississippi where it's very warm and humid right now. I see that this diesel has a LOT more stuff on it than your usual gas burner, and I realize a guy could spend a fortune replacing parts, which I don't want to do. The truck has almost 300,000 miles on it. When I bought it, I did drive it back home (2 hour drive) while pulling a car dolly with my Camry on it. So, while it did make the trip without issue, the temp gauge never budged much (didn't even get 1/4th the way up), and it ran smooth. I've read about the IDM, so I looked at mine. There's no corrosion or anything that would look suspect, but it does look to be original. I've ordered the inexpensive blue tooth scanner to do the buzz test, but was also hoping someone here could help with some advice. Your time and help is very much appreciated. I'm definitely a diesel newbie!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Until the scanner comes in, check your usual things out. Fuel filter, air filter, oil level. Sometimes the simple things can make them aggrevated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told the fuel pump was replaced, but not sure about the fuel filter. I'll check that. Air filters need replacing. Oil was low when I purchased it (someone did an oil change, but didnt put enough back in it) so I topped that off. Once I get the scanner in and have more clues, I'll be back. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess I goofed. Didn't realize that the 1999 7.3 isn't OBDII. Not sure what tool to use to scan it. However, after some Lucas Oil fuel treatment and fresh diesel fuel, it seems to be MUCH better. If anyone can help me with what scan tool I can use, your help is much appreciated. Budget is slim though. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same issues with you running a diagnostics check. I just got my OBDLink EX in the mail and I’m about to download FORScan. I will let you know if it works from me. It was recommended to me in one of my other posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just finished downloading and running it! I’m super pleased and it connected to my 2002 7.3 flawlessly. You can also run all of the self tests like the injector buzz test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! So, $59.99 for the scanner, and how much for the software? You connect it to a laptop?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome! So, $59.99 for the scanner, and how much for the software? You connect it to a laptop?
The FORScan software is a free download I’m assuming for a certain amount of time until you have to pay for it. I am running it off of a windows laptop. There are different connectors if you want to use your phone. So yes, for the $59.99 just for the connector I was able to do everything. I will be purchasing the FORScan program because I will use it for the foreseeable future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts