Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 100% new to the diesel world, I’ll start with that.

I changed the fuel filter, oil, coolant and changed some orings in the AC lines yesterday. After finishing up I let it idle for about 20 min while I cleaned up and to burp the coolant. Went to take it into town and didn’t make it half a mile.It was making happy diesel sounds and then nothing. It was driving fine, it never hesitated or miss fired. The tach moves when I crank it, no check engine light ever came on. Wait to start light still comes on for the same amount of time. There’s no smoke from the exhaust. Fuel bowl has fuel in it. All the connections under the hood look fine and tight.
Where should I start??

backstory if you want it—I’ve had the truck less than a month. It’s a 97HD 250 ECSB ZF5 with 330,000 miles. Straight pipe exhaust. 2yo turbo. Ts6 chip. Bought it to replace a V10 that got totaled out for a decent price. Just needed something to pull the horse trailers and our camper. I’ve been using it as a daily for a couple weeks to Figure out it’s quirks and what I need to work on. And this is the first issue I’ve had with it. I know my way pretty well around a tool box butthis is my first diesel. And all the acronyms are making my head spin already.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Since it has a TS6 chip, physically remove it (key nowhere near the ignition when you do this!) and see if anything changes. Get the FORScan (or FORScan Lite) app for your smartphone, tablet, or laptop and an appropriate ELM-327 OBD-II Interface adapter. If you don't need it now, you probably will later. Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have figured out it is a fuel delivery issue. The rail will prime pressure (I’ll get a gauge in the AM to see actual pressure) but it still will not fire. Anything specific I can check?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it has a TS6 chip, physically remove it (key nowhere near the ignition when you do this!) and see if anything changes. Get the FORScan (or FORScan Lite) app for your smartphone, tablet, or laptop and an appropriate ELM-327 OBD-II Interface adapter. If you don't need it now, you probably will later. Cheers!
How much live data does a 97 really give off? From my research it’s not much at all. But I could’ve read someone’s dumbass post instead of someone help fuel. And how would removing the chip help anything?
I also have no damn clue where to unplug the chip at.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
First off - welcome to PSN. I'd say you can capture at least 12 or more data points depending on whether or not the truck has a stick or automatic transmission. Removing the chip ensures that you are running the stock calibration. Look up a PHP Hydra for detailed installation instructions - taking the hip off will just be the reverse. If it was running with the chip prior then I really wouldn't mess with the chip except as a last resort. As for your fuel problems take a look at post #2 in: 95 powerstroke fuel problem . There is a diagram of the fuel system. It might be that you have lost one of the pumps - there is a low pressure lift pump and a high pressure pump in the same unit. Somewhere around here there is a list of acronyms... If I find it I'll post a link.

Cj

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Acronyms: PSD terms. | Ford Power Stroke Nation

To correctly diagnose these engines you sometimes need to monitor live data from the sensors that provide data to the PCM. There are plenty of PCM inputs and outputs you can monitor! You also need to be able to read and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Most parts store generic scanners will not work on these trucks! Other very helpful resources are the Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis manual (PCED: Diagnostic Methods, Symptom Charts, PinPoint Tests, etc) and Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM: Wiring Diagrams, Connector Pinouts and Locations, etc.).

In your case, you may have fuel pressure in the rails (or you may not), so measure the pressure at the schrader valve on the driver's side of the fuel bowl while cranking. Minimum spec is 25 psi at a minimum crank speed of 100 rpm. The injectors will not inject fuel until commanded by the PCM. The PCM needs to see at least 500 psi from the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) Sensor to command injection. The app and adapter (as well as other scanner software such as AutoEnginuity) lets you monitor the pressure. Maybe there's a problem with the High Pressure Oil System (or maybe not).

Just a simple example from my own experience on my 94 PSD: I fired up a perfectly running truck and parked out in the back yard. A month later, I went to move it and it wouldn't start (cranked over fine, but not even a hint of firing). I spent the next 2 days checking everything I could think of (fuses, fuel pressure, 5000 psi gauge on the HP Oil Rails, etc.). Finally broke down and scanned it. I got P1283 for Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) fault. Broke out the manuals and performed the pinpoint tests for that code. Last step was "replace PCM and retest". And that was it, my PCM somehow went bad and I never would have figured that out without the diagnostic tools and tests.

Keep posting what you're getting and what you're trying!. Cheers!

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
70 Posts
Acronyms: PSD terms. | Ford Power Stroke Nation

To correctly diagnose these engines you sometimes need to monitor live data from the sensors that provide data to the PCM. There are plenty of PCM inputs and outputs you can monitor! You also need to be able to read and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Most parts store generic scanners will not work on these trucks! Other very helpful resources are the Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis manual (PCED: Diagnostic Methods, Symptom Charts, PinPoint Tests, etc) and Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM: Wiring Diagrams, Connector Pinouts and Locations, etc.).

In your case, you may have fuel pressure in the rails (or you may not), so measure the pressure at the schrader valve on the driver's side of the fuel bowl while cranking. Minimum spec is 25 psi at a minimum crank speed of 100 rpm. The injectors will not inject fuel until commanded by the PCM. The PCM needs to see at least 500 psi from the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) Sensor to command injection. The app and adapter (as well as other scanner software such as AutoEnginuity) lets you monitor the pressure. Maybe there's a problem with the High Pressure Oil System (or maybe not).

Just a simple example from my own experience on my 94 PSD: I fired up a perfectly running truck and parked out in the back yard. A month later, I went to move it and it wouldn't start (cranked over fine, but not even a hint of firing). I spent the next 2 days checking everything I could think of (fuses, fuel pressure, 5000 psi gauge on the HP Oil Rails, etc.). Finally broke down and scanned it. I got P1283 for Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) fault. Broke out the manuals and performed the pinpoint tests for that code. Last step was "replace PCM and retest". And that was it, my PCM somehow went bad and I never would have figured that out without the diagnostic tools and tests.

Keep posting what you're getting and what you're trying!. Cheers!
Try something easy, you replaced fuel filters? Check o ring carefully, any leak there can prevent proper fuel pressure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel filter, oil, ICP and CPS are all new. (I broke the ICP like an idiot 🤦‍♂️ $216 later…) it’s getting fuel to the bowl and rails (I don’t have a gauge to see exactly what it’s at) but I think I’ve narrowed it down to my IDM or IPR. but both being at about $200 I’d like to figure out which one it is. Anyone have any suggestions on how to test one or the other to narrow it down? Or am I just stuck buying a scanner (don’t have access to one, so recommend away. I have an iPhone if that makes a difference in what you recommend).

·
Registered
635 Posts
check that tin nut on the IPR and insure it is still on the IPR...I had one fall off years ago. You can use a tire gauge to check fuel pressure off that schrader valve or hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tin nut is fine. I’ll have to try the tire pressure gauge. What should it read on it? I have a scanner coming (supposed to be today) but it’ll probably be tomorrow or apparently Saturday before it here. I’ll update with whatever codes I get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve replaced the IPR harness and no longer have a code for it. It passes a buzz test. New ICP. New CPS. it still will not start. And I have no codes to chase in FORScan
I’ll try and add a screenshot of live data while it is cranking. It still makes no pops or sputters, and no smoke when cranking. It just turns over all day.

WTF am I missing??? I’m about ready to shove a rag in the tank and walk away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there any more test I can do?? Another gauge I need to pull up and read? I’m open to any damn ideas at this point.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You're not building pressure in the high pressure oil system. The IPR is maxed out yet you only have 343 psi in the rail. The PCM will not fire the injectors until you have at least 500 psi. Looks like your cranking rpms are low as well, you should be cranking around 160 rpms. Could be that your just not getting enough rpms while cranking. Are the batteries good and charged? How is the starter?

Cj

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s kPa, not PSI. PSIis welllll above 500 if you convert that. I have since changed it to psi in the app to make it easier on my. One battery is brand new. The other is a year old and I have a charger on it when I’m cranking. Starter is fine. It actually sounds like it’s spinning slightly faster than it did before it died after I put that new battery in yesterday.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Your right... missed the kPa. I stand by the starter... it is my understanding if you aren't turning at least 150 rpms the PCM won't trigger the IDM to start firing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts