Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I installed a new south bend clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and master cylinder, fork, throw out bearing, clutch pedal bushings, heim joint mod, everything in the clutch system is brand new. The slave cylinder is pre bled and working correctly. The truck will start and when I try to put it into first or any gear for that matter it will not go in, i do not understand whats restricting is from going into gear. Trying to fix it this weekend Ive been without the truck for two months because of it. Any help would be appreciated the fingers on the pressure plate are moving correctly and are level. There is really no explanation for why I can not get it into gear. Transmission is out of the truck right now I removed the pressure plate and theres no broken springs or bad fingers. Clutch disk looks fine as well. Thanks guys

·
Registered
198 Posts
First question, if you start it in gear does it try to take off or is there just a small amount of drag stopping the synchros from letting it go in gear?
Any possibility you have the clutch disc in backwards?
Is there ANY lost motion in the clutch pedal? There should only be enough to be sure the piston has fully returned in the master cylinder.
In this type situation I like to have dust cover off, engine shut off, and clutch pedal fully depressed by assistant or custom block of wood. Start by looking straight up at the bottom of the disc. Can you spin the disc with a small screwdriver or pick?
It should me free. If not rotate engine while checking for gap between disc and flywheel and disc and pressure plate. If the gap varies you have defective parts or something got tweaked on assembly.

Reactions: JCart

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
You’ve probably covered this off but when you installed the tranny did you remove the shift tower (and stick) and not re-install the bottom end of shift leaver (ball end) into the socket on shifter rail? Sounds to me like a transmission issue... will it go into any gear if engine is not running?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never removed the ball from the shifter rail I only had to remove the shift lever. And yes truck goes into every gear while it's not running

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First question, if you start it in gear does it try to take off or is there just a small amount of drag stopping the synchros from letting it go in gear?
Any possibility you have the clutch disc in backwards?
Is there ANY lost motion in the clutch pedal? There should only be enough to be sure the piston has fully returned in the master cylinder.
In this type situation I like to have dust cover off, engine shut off, and clutch pedal fully depressed by assistant or custom block of wood. Start by looking straight up at the bottom of the disc. Can you spin the disc with a small screwdriver or pick?
It should me free. If not rotate engine while checking for gap between disc and flywheel and disc and pressure plate. If the gap varies you have defective parts or something got tweaked on assembly.
Yes the truck does try and roll forward if I try and start it in gear.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The caption of this diagram describes several clutch problems that apply to your truck. Read each one a few times, and follow the links in the caption for more info.

(phone app link)

The revbase.com links are probably dead, but the thumbnails still work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts