Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1997 ford 7.3 with a 5 speed and I swapped the motor out awhile back and now I have this issue that for the life of me I cannot figure out when I turn the key on I have no wait to start light and no check engine light and not tach movement so I thought ok it's the fuse but wrong it's good I have power to the pcm so I thought ok it's the pcm well my buddie just so happens to have a truck just like mine so I put my pcm on his truck and it fired right up along with my cps and my idm and I also discovered that when I back my pcm connector out some I get my wait to start light and my check engine light but still no tach movement I'm completely lost and I really need some ideas before I burn this stupid thing!!!!!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
No direct experience, but I've read that some 1997 trucks, the tach does not move while cranking. Must be something different in the PCM programming.

Is the CE light staying on when you turn the key to RUN, or does it just blink on once VERY quickly and then go off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tach used to move while cranking and when I unscrew the pcm connector some and I get the lights to come on check engine light stays on and never goes off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have hooked a scanner it it and it throws all kinds of codes like over 200 every time and it's always the same ones it's like the pcm is just going crazy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And also when I hooked my pcm to my buddies truck it didn't throw a single code and ran just fine but like I said I have to have the connector partially unhooked to get my wts light and my cel light to come on and even when I do it won't start

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
What scanner are you using? Is it a scanner that you've determined is compatible with our generation of PSD? If it is, it should be able to do, or at least attempt, a buzz test.

If the over 200 codes include ones that only a gasser would throw, then the scanner is probably not compatible with our generation of PSD.

Option - try disconnecting ALL 5V VREF sensors, reconnect the PCM connector all the way, and see if you get a WTS light and try to scan it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I know it's compatible because I have used it before this happened and yes I can do a buzz test on the injectors I already have just to see and as for the sensor trick I have already tried that a couple of times

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Any chance you have a chip installed?
You need to pull the pcm connector and look at the pins. Would be good to clean both sides.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I do have a chip installed and it has been unhooked this whole time and I have cleaned the connections on the pins and the connectors multiple times I'm just at a complete loss for words over this I have no idea what to try at all anymore ?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I'd keep the chip completely out of the PCM until you get this figured out

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Look at the connector pins.
Also, check the pcm relay. Forget which one it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the connector pins seem ok I've checked them a few times and the relay is ok I've changed it out with one that I know is good

·
Registered
3,797 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
You aren't paying attention.
I'm done here. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
U NEED TO OHM HARNESS

Seriously there is a process to follow, a rather specific one, if you want to sort out why your truck wont start you should LISTEN TO THESE GUYS
Research their advice, DO what is recommended and REPORT back with your findings....
otherwise instead of a discussion forum all you really need is your own personal blog, these guys are trying like heck to help you get your OBS running and you are not listening or responding

You found the best 7.3 troubleshooting group on the internet and they are in here helping you and you are completely ignoring their advice = whoops

1 - 19 of 19 Posts