Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 Ford 7.3L has new glow plugs and relay, but I have to turn the key of and on multiple times before it will start good. I hear the relay click on and it is on for about 5 seconds then clicks off. The light stay on for about 30 secs. It is around 40 degrees. Please help.

·
CAT lover
603 Posts
Need a new glow plug relay, you either wired it wrong, dirty connections, or she's flat out junk. There are better solutions to this just google 7.3 upgraded glow plug relay. My truck will not start until a while of white smoke and cranking in even 45 degrees out without the GPR working.

·
CAT lover
603 Posts
Now my truck will start in zero degrees with one cycle of GPs

·
CAT lover
603 Posts
...and the GPRs you get new from advance, autozone, even napa, are junk. I think Dieselorings.com has a good one and riffraffdiesel.com has upgraded replacements as well. Sorry for the multi-post answer

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Aftermarket glow plugs have a habit of swelling around their tips which leads to having to pull the heads to change them out.

The only ones that are recommended are Motorcraft/Breu ZD-11's.

·
Administrator
8,619 Posts
all glow plug relays sold by auto parts stores are junk. go with the white rodgers/stancor 586 902 relay from diesel o-rings, Monster White-Rodgers Glow Plug Relay

and add a led to the output side to monitor when power is being sent to the plugs.

·
Native Texan
9,090 Posts
Few years ago vender for my shop offered me smoking deal on a set of autolite glow plugs and so I ordered new gaskets and replaced them. With in 3 months 5 of the autolites plugs failed and took out the gaskets so new gasket and motorcraft plugs and been great till I started my rebuild last year. So yes go with better parts its not worth the trouble.

·
Administrator
8,619 Posts
yea, i will use ether to start my truck before putting anything besides motorcraft glow plugs in it.

·
Native Texan
9,090 Posts
yea, i will use ether to start my truck before putting anything besides motorcraft glow plugs in it.
Yeah I made the mistake once lucky it only cost me some parts and time. It sucks doing that job twice in a few months. I had a couple bad plugs at the end of the previous winter and just wanted to be prepared for the coming winter. To bad the first time it turned cold they didn't work and my truck wouldn't start that's how I found the problem. Will never make that mistake again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to my dad who is the sales man I got the parts from. He said that the glow plugs where motorcraft. He also to me that the glow plug relay he order from Ford.

·
CAT lover
603 Posts
Ford glow plug relay are junk. Get a stancor or the monster one off Dieselorings.com

·
Administrator
8,619 Posts
Ford glow plug relay are junk. Get a stancor or the monster one off Dieselorings.com
same part. diesel o-rings sells the stancor/white rodgers relay.

·
ZipTieologist
91 Posts
The plow relay is like $30 from Corey on his website. Look up CNC Fab.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
You can get the Western Plow relay lots of places. But it's cool to do business with people who support the forums like Corey; we have them to thank, in part, for free access to all this 411.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. I've also got another question. What is a good programmer to get. All the other form I've looked at everybody says to get a chip and I don't really won't to put a chip on my pickup. I'm looking at maybe an edge.

·
Native Texan
9,090 Posts
Check out dp tuners they are a sponser on here and the have several options to choose from and Justin is very helpful.

Reactions: 410customs
1 - 20 of 23 Posts