Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i have a 1997 psd, its got 312K compression is in the 380-420 range except on one that has 350. i already have a built trans in it and the truck is in great condition. the only problems with it they way it is, is that the passengers side exhaust manifold leaks, the drivers side up-pipe is cracked, and it leaks a little oil.

my plan for the truck is to put stage III's, a 38R, IC via superduty parts, electric fuel pump with spin on filters and a superduty 17* HPOP.

should i spend the money on my 312K block or rebuild a core engine i have that has 180K on it? the core had a meltdown in one hole. no dammage to the block or heads.

what should i do?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Drop the parts on this engine, and start building the other engine.

Dave

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
start on the other one, then just drop it in when it's done :) no sence in risking the good stuff on a tired motor

·
Registered
448 Posts
yeah but that 312k still has alot of STOCK level life in it ;) so build the ###K out of the 180k block to make power with and find something to throw the old cruiser 312k in

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much work would it be to drop a powerstroke in a truck that didnt originally have a powerstroke it it? as far as the electric system goes? are there any aftermarket simplified ecm's or computer systems out there?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
That would all depend on whether or not you have an auto or stick. There is alot of little things that need to be done for everything to work right.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the risk of putting the 38r, and the sd intercooler and intake parts on the existing engine in my truck? i dont plan on putting any fuel/injector or HPOP on the old motor.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
In my opinion, i would do a D66 turbo if you dont plan on doing any injectors. its cheaper than a new 38r and you dont have to swap pedistals. the d66 is a replacement for your stocker. thats my .02

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be doing stage 3's once i have the new engine built, i just wanna get the truck setup for a drop in of the new engine and the bigger injectors.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
My bad, i didn't read through your original post. Sorry, ignore my H2E comment.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm kinda new to things but what are the advantages of an H2E over a 38R? the truck wont ever be a sled rig or competition truck just a daily driver and tow truck on our farm.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Well if its just a stock H2E, the 38R is probably a hair better but if you got a modded H2E you will have a definite advantage over the 38R. The H2E is not a ball bearing turbo also.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
think your gonna need more oil for that big of an injector,mayb an adrenaline or even bigger.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats the plan, but the big injectors are not going in the old engine so no worries till the new one is built. i'm either going with an adrenaline or a moded 17* sd pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts