Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 F350 Turbo diesel 237K miles. Died in parking lot going 15 miles an hr...would spin over but did not start. Had it towed home... Battery is fully charged....replaced Cam Sensor —Tach is moving ( bouncing ) when trying to start—, replaced ICP, IPR,
IEOP,HEOP and the Injector drive module (no injector response / Fuel bowl is full).
Any suggestions or assistance greatly appreciated.

·
Project Shamu
2,858 Posts
The 7.3 computer looks for 3 things when cranking.

1) 10.5v or more
2) 100rpms or more
3) 450-500psi of ICP or more

Once these 3 parameters are met, it lets the injectors fire.

Are you getting white smoke out the exhaust while cranking? If not, 1 or more of these parameters are not being met.

If you are getting white smoke, I would look at glow plugs.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Do you smell any fuel when cranking ?
What kind of live data are you able to see ?
Where there any indicators that the truck was going to stall or did it turn off like it would when you switch the engine off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Any chip or other mods? What's fuel pressure when cranking? Minimum is 25 psi at 100 minimum crank speed. What are the fuel levels in the tanks and have you tried switching tanks? Cheers!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Yes, you can check fuel pressure at the valve on the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) on the drivers side of the fuel bowl. You can use a cheapo stick tire pressure gauge, but wrap the joint with a rag to avoid getting sprayed with fuel. Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil pressure gauge does not move when cranking
HPOP live data reads 234
High pressure oil pump replaced 3 weeks ago

·
College Student
212 Posts
I dont mean to restate anything that has been said before, but did you check all the fuses?

·
PSN intsigator
6,853 Posts
234 psi is not enough to let the injectors fire. As @Lt.Dan stated above it needs to see 450 to 500 to fire.

It appears you have a high pressure oil leak somewhere.

I would pull the valve covers and crank tge engjne and see if your losing the oil pressure through an injector.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
You must have a massive HPO leak pulling down base oil pressure or insufficient LPO supply to build enough pressure to fire the injectors.

Put a mechanical gauge on to check the base oil pressure.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
That pressure is certainly low but you’d have white smoke while trying to start. You say you have nothing.

Check OIL pressure while cranking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took valve covers off checked for oil leakage at injectors and there was none. No white smoke from exhaust.
Removed ICP sensor ran 120 lbs of air for 20 minutes with no signs of injector leakage
Took feed line off (HPOP)going to head very low oil pressure coming out
Replaced IPR valve with after market still not starting ..has power (12)volts ... should I replace with motor craft
Thanks for the help I appreciate it very much
Does a 1997 F350 have bypass valves made in to oil filter housing

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
You need to make sure you have sufficient low pressure oil supply to the HPOP before condemning anything on the high side. What is your base oil pressure cranking over? Check with a mechanical gauge

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check the maxi fuse for the fuel bowl heater. If the heater shorts out and blows it's fuse it won't start. It is blown just pull the wire for the heater that plugs into the left side(drivers side) of the bowl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts