Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do a sanity check . I picked up a 1997 f350 ,7.3 , 269k -for payment on a side job . The truck is pretty presentable but it's low on power . The previous owner claims it's always had very little pulling power . I put new o rings fuel lines and fuel filter into the fuel bowl . I did not notice any oil in the fuel , it looked nice and blue . I put a snap on scanner on the truck ran a buzz test passed , cylinder contribution test passed . Icp is .90 volts and 550lbs and 8-9% duty cycle which seems reasonable and indicative of no hydraulic faults in the injection system . The engine won't rev past 2700 rpm unless you leave your foot on the floor , when it does finally rev up it misses and pours lots of white smoke . A fresh oil change tonight gave it a little more power while driving but it still won't rev . I'm thinking due to the miles on the engine it's time for a set of injectors. Was wondering if anyone can add to this . Put a tire pressure gauge on the fuel bowl and it showed 50lbs pressure at idle . Inlet side of the turbo is clean and Not damaged . Thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
If fuel pressure is fine, I would say you are probably looking at an injector issue of some sort. What is your ICP showing with your foot to the floor when it pours out white smoke?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I used to have a similar issue. Would come and go. I think it was the icp sensor.
Nobody cares what your one specific icp voltage is. What is the actual psi when that's happening?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It runs 2200lb to 2500lb ICP at full throttle around 2500-2700rpm as it missses and smokes white . I think I'll tee into the suction line and put a vacuum gauge on and see if there's a restriction on the fuel system . Thoughts ?
Question , do the old body style trucks use a mixing bowl like the super dutys in the fuel tank or is it a pick up strainer like the old IDI trucks have ?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Should be the strainer like the IDI trucks.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
what about a sticky EBPV? Make sure your exhaust back pressure valve is not stuck closed, happens alot when the oil is cold.....

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The linkage from the exhaust back pressure actuator is actually disconnected from the butterfly valve . The butterfly valve does move freely however that's another thing I need to repair and get the valve working correctly.
I've done some reading and there are some who think the back pressure valve effects fueling so there's a possibility that it's causing some of the issue . Gut feeling is that it's a lack of fuel volume. Had some friends in from out of town I'll get back to working on it Monday after work . Thanks guys for the responses , I will do a fuel restriction test with a vacuum gauge on the suction line and post results

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The butterfly valve does move freely
Don't let it move freely use some bailing wire and wire it open

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'll try to secure it , I intend to do the exhaust brake mod so the valve will have to function correctly...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
You read incorrectly.
The valve isn't tied to fueling.
The EBP sensor might be. Typically any tuning will bypass it.
Many hook the sensor up to read intake boost pressure. Apparently it lives longer like that.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should have said the function of the exhaust back pressure sensor / valve can contribute to fueling in certain conditions. I looked under the truck briefly after church . The side fuel tank has a pretty good dent in it . So I guess it's possible there's a fuel restriction, I'll determine that tomorrow . The outputshaft yoke nut fell off and is sitting in the yoke held in by the universal joint , have to order a new one from Ford, stupid one time use "lock" nut . Part of the charm of a used vehicle is all the stuff you find wrong with it . The turn signals hazards and brake lights didn't work . I found melted wiring on the fuse box and brake light switch - root cause was chafed wires improperly routed in the service body ... got a pretty good oil leak in the valley which appears to be the HPOP . I'll have figure out how to post pictures ..

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was able to do a fuel system restriction test and found no restriction. I was able to move the butterfly valve to the open position too . The truck seemed to run a little better . Anyone have any experience with Hot shots stiction additive ? I'm wondering if it will help , there was a lot less smoke today and the engine seemed to rev a lot easier . I'm wondering if the new engine oil is helping the injectors fire like they are supposed to .
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I've ran it. Does work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trying to prolong the inevitable, buying injectors .. need to make some side money with the truck to justify spending money on the truck

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Removing the HPOP to fix some oil leaks . Replacing the " non serviceable" plug along with the IPR o rings . It's a pretty safe bet that this motor hasn't ever been apart . The insulation on the hvac box isn't all beat to heck and the front cover on the gear plate had oe rtv on it . Have to do a glow plug test , I'm thinking the relay is bad . I'm sure there's a few glow plugs burnt out .. I'll post some pictures tomorrow..

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Happy 4th !
Here's pictures of the removed HPOP , and a picture of the check ball and "edge filter"
The non serviceable bolt was actually loose and the pump to engine gasket was compressed so that appears to be my valley oil leaks . I'll put it all back together Thursday and get it running again .

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Little update . The valley oil leaks have been repaired . The " non serviceable " plug was loose , the HPOP mounting gasket was compressed allowing oil to leak .
I went ahead and changed all the o rings on the IPR as well as changed out the IPR pigtail . New - found leak . The fuel pump is leaking . So I'll be changing that out once the replacement arrives . What's this I've read about the pump plunger falling out of the pump upon removal ? Never had that happen before . Any tips ?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Update ; in my quest to stop the oil and fuel leaks on the service truck I pressure washed the engine and discovered the oil leaks were indeed fixed but the fuel pump was leaking . I acquired a Carter fuel pump from RockAuto , and put it in Saturday . The old pump was leaking from the weep hole and down the plunger shaft . I'd like to report I no longer have oil or fuel in the engine valley and the steady drip from the rear of the engine is gone . I've got about $850 into this truck including $500 for the sale price ! Pretty cool .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts