Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to post this in the transmission section for better results so here it goes. My truck has 204,000 miles on it and has the e4od automatic transmission. I had it off the road to fix some body work on it and had to disconnect the tranny cooler lines from the radiator because I installed a new one. When I got the truck back together I started it and tried to move it in reverse and it would stall. It was low on fluid so I added some until it was between the lines on the stick and now it wouldn't stall. The O/D light is still blinking though. When the truck is cold the truck goes into reverse like it should and all the gears and converter lock up works how it should, it just shifts hard because the trans is in limp mode. When the truck is warm though, I put the truck in reverse or manual low and it tries to move when I am stepping on the brakes and the engine lugs way down. It does not stall like it did before. I pulled the pan and put a new filter on because I heard the filter falling off can cause the converter to drag in reverse or manual low and this did not help the problem. I checked the trans fluid many times and it is between the hot marks when it is hot. I also disconnected the batteries after I did the filter change to try and clear the code and it was back within 1 minute of idling in park. Now I have also discovered the the plug leading to the solenoid pack in the trans is melted and after wiggling the connector around the truck goes straight into overdrive when I put it in drive and 2nd gear manual is the only lower gear that works. I was going to replace the plug and solenoid pack but I don't know if that will completely fix the problem. Thank you for any help and sorry for the long post

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
if the male plug is melted I'd fix that first, you can get replacements, then go from there.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,121 Posts
You need to find out what code has been stored to fix this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The code I got is P1748, control pressure solenoid A.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,121 Posts
Most likely the pressure control solenoid is bad. It could also be a broken wire or corrosion in a connection between the PCM and the solenoid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the control pressure solenoid? Is it the solenoid pack that I can see if I take the transmission pan off? Also, would this cause the converter to lock in reverse and manual low?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,121 Posts
Yes to all of your questions!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, alright thanks. It's nice to have an actual transmission tech answering my questions. I'll put the new solenoid pack in and the pigtail and see if that fixes it, I'll let you know.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,121 Posts
I've never been a transmission tech.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it's been awhile since I posted in this thread but to anyone who might have a problem similar to mine or who cares anyway, I figured I'd post my results after installing the solenoids/harness. Two of the connector pins in the solenoid pack had completely corroded off and the harness was burned so i replaced both parts and the truck shifts like brand new. As a word of advice for anyone dealing with these transmissions, before doing any work on them, read the codes first because it tells you a whole lot and saves you a lot of work. I learned the hard way. Hopefully this helps someone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts