Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 97 powerstroke... It's got a flatbed dump body... I want to transform this thing into something a little less commercial looking... I'm thinking along the lines of an off road firewood hauler. I just think the plain flat bed is boring. I'be seen some cool things done with Toyota flatbeds some I'm leaning towards ideas like those... But I've never seen custom offroad flatbeds like that on a full size dually. anyone have any ideas or pictures? Thanks in advance!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,331 Posts
It is a DUALLY, with a dumping flatbed. How about you sell it to someone that will use it and buy something else to make into a off road truck

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Buff the piss out of the factory paint that's on it, 19.5's all the way around..looks and functionality for carrying weight, and wear on tires. Pro-tech aluminum flatbed...spendy, but they are flat out awesome...heavyhaul company I worked for in Vancouver Washington had one on a reg cab 4x4 dodge dually, and it was a couple years old and still looked brand new. For a work truck I wouldn't bother painting it, just clean up the paint that's on it, and the bed I mentioned would keep the work truck look, but take away from some of the "commercial" look of it.

Never mentioned a budget you're working with, so it's hard to say unless you mention what you're looking to spend. The 19.5's and bed are niceties, not necessities...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I hear ya on the "buffin the piss out of it" wish I had a buffer, shining a turd ain't so easy by hand... I checked out the aluminum flatbeds... I'm kinda lookin to make something myself based on somebody's ideas... I see it in my head...!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,331 Posts
Anything you are going to do to the bed to make it more "Buggy like" is going to take away from the function. You are going to need sides to hold firewood. And make it SRW if you want off-road ability. Dually are terrible off road in comparison

If you want it to look less Truck like shorten and narrow the headack rack. Mine look just like yours and I trimmed it down

Dont do 19.5 tires. They SUCK off-road. Any decent 16" will out do the most aggressive 19.5

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the same exact bed that I have... I like how you trimmed it up, maybe some edging for durability and it would be exactly what I'm lookin for... As for the bed itself... I was thinkin this mornin how what i really want is a heavy-duty bed to put things in... Not a bed to put things on... So if I trimmed back the head board like you did... and then made some custom steel sides... I think it would be cool. Not racks though... I've got a picture in my head of like one of those dump beds on an earth mover...!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,331 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what I'm leaning towards is like that yota... But beefy... The outside of the flatbed would angle up and then have storage compartments accessible from the top... But just picture it much bigger beefier and with taller sides... And a headache rack.. It definitely looks gay on the yota... But just picture that shape on the back of a dually.... And it becomes not gay...

Nice job on the bed BTW...

·
In-THe-Dirt_Powerstroker!
280 Posts
Looks good. Keep updating!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am with Brad, dont ruin a good truck like that....in all honesty a beefed up 150 would be better to destroy...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Heck i like the looks as is with the old bed. Its a work truck.

But Im pretty partial to flatbeds.

A nice Bradford built would look nice. But you couldnt dump with one, unless you bought the specialty and its expensive!

I saw a picture once of a guy that cut down a regular OBS be and then laid a flatbed inside of it. it looked pretty sweet ill try and find that picture

1 - 20 of 21 Posts