Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My 96 broke down on me twice in the middle of nowhere. The first time was the fuel bowl heater that was a quick fix. Then less than 100 miles later still in the middle of nowhere the tension pulley on the belt let go.
I just put the belt back on and ran it for close to 300 miles home. There wasn't a bearing left in it but I got home.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
How many miles did it have? And the motor in this thing actually looks really clean when yku pop the hood open

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My 96 broke down on me twice in the middle of nowhere. The first time was the fuel bowl heater that was a quick fix. Then less than 100 miles later still in the middle of nowhere the tension pulley on the belt let go.
I just put the belt back on and ran it for close to 300 miles home. There wasn't a bearing left in it but I got home.

How well has it served you know, any expensive issues?

·
Administrator
1,224 Posts

the tensioner on my 02 took a ride 20 miles from home. took out the belt and ac compressor clutch wiring too.
since it was around 50 degrees outside and i was on a major highway, i fired it up after removing what was left of the belt and drove home.
never got hot, and only had to stop once for a red light that just turned green as i got to it 4 blocks from home.
new tensioner, belt, ac compressor and charged batteries and i was back on the road. put another 100,000 miles on it before relegating it to backup truck duty.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
the tensioner on my 02 took a ride 20 miles from home. took out the belt and ac compressor clutch wiring too.
since it was around 50 degrees outside and i was on a major highway, i fired it up after removing what was left of the belt and drove home.
never got hot, and only had to stop once for a red light that just turned green as i got to it 4 blocks from home.
new tensioner, belt, ac compressor and charged batteries and i was back on the road. put another 100,000 miles on it before relegating it to backup truck duty.
That's perhaps one of the nice things of living back east.

I was in the middle of the Utah when the heater went on a highway that only sees a few vehicles a day at that time of year. Then when the tensioner went I was on the Freeway but 100 miles from the nearest parts house. My problem was that I pulled down a off ramp and would of had to of hiked up to the freeway to flag someone down if I hadn't of gotten it going and since they wouldn't of been able to see my truck I doubt that anyone would of stopped.

Reactions: Jacob.McGlamery

·
Administrator
1,224 Posts
yea. been there done that too. i was in baldymore coming home from dc about 30 years ago and had a belt snap taking the other two with it.
at 10 pm only thing open was a dollar store.
bought 6 pair (i think it was) of pantyhose and made my own belts. they worked enough to get back to joisey.
next day the mechanic called and asked where i got the stupid idea to use pantyhose as a belt.
i told him it worked didn't it? he had no answer to that one.
but after that all trucks had spare belts and minor tools to change them under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
On the subject of pantyhose. I had a 42 Ford military jeep when I was in high school and the prom queen wanted to go 4 wheeling after the prom, so she dumped her date and I dumped mine and off we went, her in her prom dress and me in a tux.

Needless to say we were on our way home after going up to the snow line on some back roads when I lost the fan belt, so no charging or water pump. I coasted as far as I could down the hill but we had to get up and over one more to hit the pavement. I tried some baling wire that I had but it just slipped. We were sitting there laughing and she came up with the idea of using her pantyhose.

Off they came and I took them and tied them around the pulleys as tight as I could get the. Started up the jeep and we were on our way. I dropped her off at her house and went home. The next morning I took my dads car down to the parts house for a new fan belt and when I got home there he was with the hood up on my jeep just looking at the make shift fan belt. He didn't say a thing but had a smile on his face. I can just imagine what he told my mom if he did. I never did hear anything about it later either.

At my 50th high school reunion last year I saw that lady again and she introduced me to her husband and then started talking about a wild ride in a old jeep after the prom. I often wonder if she told him about the pantyhose.....

Reactions: Jacob.McGlamery

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking at a 1997 f350 with 330,000 miles on it. It has nnewer trans with 40k miles on it and an upgraded turbo wheel and a 3in down pipe. Other than that it’s completely stock. The dude is wanting to trade for my truck and I’m interest in his f350. There’s no blow by and it has a small oil leak maybe a drop a day. It runs and sounds really good. Other than driving like a tank what do y’all think?
I have a 99 and a 97, they all leak. One drop a day is nothing. My 99 is about to turn 600k

21 - 29 of 29 Posts