Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1997 f350 with 330,000 miles on it. It has nnewer trans with 40k miles on it and an upgraded turbo wheel and a 3in down pipe. Other than that it’s completely stock. The dude is wanting to trade for my truck and I’m interest in his f350. There’s no blow by and it has a small oil leak maybe a drop a day. It runs and sounds really good. Other than driving like a tank what do y’all think?

·
Registered
79 Posts
How many miles do you have, do you think 300,000k is good?
Your going to laugh

I bought it at 68,000

Its at 81,000 right now

And just got rebuilt middle of last year thanks to the previous owner dusting the engine down so bad it would dump all compression from 4 and 5 into the crankcase

The oil leak however is from the mechanic not listening to me about he only had 2 minutes to mate the pan to the block from the time he started applying the silicon to the pan

That silicon Motorcraft/International use is wicked good, but you dont any time to mess around, the thing didnt bond to the block at all

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your going to laugh

I bought it at 68,000

Its at 81,000 right now

And just got rebuilt middle of last year thanks to the previous owner dusting the engine down so bad it would dump all compression from 4 and 5 into the crankcase

The oil leak however is from the mechanic not listening to me about he only had 2 minutes to mate the pan to the block from the time he started applying the silicon to the pan

That silicon Motorcraft/International use is wicked good, but you dont any time to mess around, the thing didnt bond to the block at all
Geez so you had to rebuild the entire thing? Bet that was pricey, you got low low miles on a 20 year old truck

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I'd go for it

Sorry I went back and saw what you are currently driving

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd go for it

Sorry I went back and saw what you are currently driving
That’s what I’m thinking of doing now, kinda sad tk see my truck go cause it’s my first truck but I need something with more space, single cabs are fun just want more space, and if I do get it I’m going to tune it so what time do you think is best, economically

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
As has been mentions if it was properly taken care of the engine is just broken in.

But like any vehicle with that many miles it will have issues even if it was taken care of. That's the problem with a old truck, things break and you never know just when they are going to break.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As has been mentions if it was properly taken care of the engine is just broken in.

But like any vehicle with that many miles it will have issues even if it was taken care of. That's the problem with a old truck, things break and you never know just when they are going to break.
Yea that’s true and I’ve had those issues with my old 1970 gmc truck, it was fun to work on tho and if something breaks on the 7.3 I could fix it, I just want something that’s better on mileage and more reliable.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Id take the 7.3 for many reasons, one being the 1st Gen SD chassis are one of the best, second is a good diesel

But during repair time the sbc is cheaper and easier

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
My 96 broke down on me twice in the middle of nowhere. The first time was the fuel bowl heater that was a quick fix. Then less than 100 miles later still in the middle of nowhere the tension pulley on the belt let go.
I just put the belt back on and ran it for close to 300 miles home. There wasn't a bearing left in it but I got home.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts