Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Died suddenly.. no sputtering or acting just died suddenly. Turns over but will not start. Disconnect glow plug relay sprayed ether will run for 30 seconds. Things I’ve replaced ... Cam sensor.. IPR VALVE ...LPOP... HPOP .. Icp sensor...rebuilt oil cooler...replaced and shined all injectors... valve cover gaskets and harnesses... replaced IDM ... replaced ECM. Changed oil and coolant. Drain fuel bowl .. tested refills no problem. Did fuse test no blown fuses... WTS comes on when ign is on... oil pressure gauge moves half way up after 4 spins of engine. Did buzz kill test on injectors and all passed. I have no smoke from tail pipe .. I’m getting 12v from battery and going to IPR ... tach moves while trying to start. According to scan tool I’m not getting 500 psi on IPR. Completed all these actions to no avail ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about fuel? Do you hear the pump running? There should be a sharder valve on the fuel bowl you can try and get a pressure reading from. How long ago did you replace the injectors? Is the HPOP resivior full? What is your ICP while cranking it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Carla, I am following this closely because I had the same thing happen to me- same symptoms. I haven't gone to the replacement costs you have but have RxR'd the CPS, IPR, ICP, cleaned/ resealed the fuel bowl and done what DVOM testing I could on the wiring harness and they all pinned out/ checked good. And this truck will not start !!!

If you get it figured out make sure to post your success.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you get your issues resolved? What was it?

Finally got mine running- ended up being a bad PCM. All the diagnostics read good but the internal ground/ switching for the IPR wasn't grounding in the PCM. I could externally ground the IPR and would get 3200/3800 psi. so I knew the HPOP was good- that was a relief.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Died suddenly.. no sputtering or acting just died suddenly. Turns over but will not start. Disconnect glow plug relay sprayed ether will run for 30 seconds. Things I’ve replaced ... Cam sensor.. IPR VALVE ...LPOP... HPOP .. Icp sensor...rebuilt oil cooler...replaced and shined all injectors... valve cover gaskets and harnesses... replaced IDM ... replaced ECM. Changed oil and coolant. Drain fuel bowl .. tested refills no problem. Did fuse test no blown fuses... WTS comes on when ign is on... oil pressure gauge moves half way up after 4 spins of engine. Did buzz kill test on injectors and all passed. I have no smoke from tail pipe .. I’m getting 12v from battery and going to IPR ... tach moves while trying to start. According to scan tool I’m not getting 500 psi on IPR. Completed all these actions to no avail ...
Carla, above you said you are NOT getting 500 psi..... if that’s the case you need minimum 500 psi at injectors to fire them. Check your IPR plug and harness sometime right at the plug diesel will rot out the insulation causing a short. Make sure in bottom of fuel filter canister the heater wire is solidly affixed to plate and not shorting out as this circuit is shared with PCM. When you say new HPOP from where?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you get your issues resolved? What was it?

Finally got mine running- ended up being a bad PCM. All the diagnostics read good but the internal ground/ switching for the IPR wasn't grounding in the PCM. I could externally ground the IPR and would get 3200/3800 psi. so I knew the HPOP was good- that was a relief.
I have the same problem, I have a 97 f350. I have power on the ground side of the ipr. This unplugged from the ipr. That normal?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
That would not be normal on the Yellow wire with Red stripe (the PCM grounds this circuit to complete the IPR power circuit). Does this wire have power with just key on or with key off? Are you getting a CEL? I've attached the PCM connector pinout and the test for DTC P1283 (IPR Power Circuit tests). A couple of notes: You don't need a breakout box to perform these tests, just probe from/to the appropriates PCM connector pins. Also, unless you know that you actually have the P1283 code, I don't think I would replace the PCM as it calls for after the last step. The tests will just generally test for common problems with the IPR power circuit. I'll assume you have a "Federal" 97 truck and not a "California" 97. Cheers!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts