Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to order a fifth wheel, will a 1996 fifth wheel fit my truck? everytime i order parts i go with 96 & never had a problem, somehow 97 messes everything up lol. this is the one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am going to order a fifth wheel, will a 1996 fifth wheel fit my truck? everytime i order parts i go with 96 & never had a problem, somehow 97 messes everything up lol. this is the one.
& from what i looked at No i do not have overload leafs

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
It should fit. My old 15k Reese 5th wheel hitch and Base Rails went from my 1994 to my 1997 with no problems. Cheers!

·
Project Shamu
2,921 Posts
Yes they should be the same.

·
PSN intsigator
6,941 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Here's a picture of off the link you posted in the reviews, in a 97 Ford according to the description. A word of caution, note how that frame bracket only catches one bolt into the bed rail, if you load it heavy the bed will bend under that unsupported side of the rail. I had to fix mine as it was done that way.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a picture of off the link you posted in the reviews, in a 97 Ford according to the description. A word of caution, note how that frame bracket only catches one bolt into the bed rail, if you load it heavy the bed will bend under that unsupported side of the rail. I had to fix mine as it was done that way.

the camper im getting weights about 12k, i ordered the fifth already. what do you suggest i do?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It looks like you could order an extra 4 brackets and catch the other bolts. I added brackets to mine, but made them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The hitch supports more than its rated weight if installed as designed. Either trust the mfr. & install it as instructed; or don't, and don't buy it. But don't modify it. The bed doesn't bear any significant load when the hitch is installed properly.

If I put a 5th wheel in mine, it'll be a B&W Companion, which uses the gooseneck socket.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I used a B&W turn over ball so when not in used the bed is flush. Then when towing our 5th wheel travel trailer I use an Anderson hitch, works awesome. The Anderson is like 35lbs and fits over the 5th wheel ball in the bed. This system allows you to haul a goose neck or 5th wheel (in my case an Anderson) and has worked great. Also I custom mounted air bags (as they where on truck when I bought it and are the over spring mounts.

Reactions: Blue-Truck-Nut97

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'll second the B&W turn-over-ball hitch. It has a really solid attachment to the frame of the truck. I have pulled 19.5k with it (and this is a SRW truck) and the truck/trailer have been totally solid. I haven't tried pulling a 5th wheel style trailer.

Cj

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I really like the B&W setup, pretty tough. I helped put one in my buddy's dodge years ago, I was very skeptical about the cheap washers to cover the slotted holes, and cheesy grade 5 bolts. But the hitch has held up great.

In response to "modifying" the Reese, I don't think anyone suggested that. I did suggest adding extra brackets to the frame, as the Ford bed isn't tough enough to hold the rails up an hard bumps, or the like. Combined with the idea that you are trusting your stopping ability to 4 carriage bolts. I've actually found the rails in the bed to be really handy anchor points.

For the overloaded off road dumb stuff I get into, my home made hitch has been the best, but it's stout. And it's anchored to the frame with 12 grade 8 bolts. The truck will be in two pieces before it comes off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts