Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1997 f250 zf5 4x4. I have Mark's fuel system on order. I have a diamond eye down pipe sitting here to go in and an intake. I also have stainless steel fuel injector cups to put in as well and some other odds and ends to fix and I know tunner will be hydra eventually. Right now I'm trying to figure out gauges. So I'm looking at cts2. My question is what gauges can you monitor with just the unit and no additional add ons. So I want to watch boost, egt, water temp, fuel pressure. I do know I have to get an add on for egt but what about the others.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
EGT you will need a probe. Boost you can probably use the MAP signal. Water temp isn't monitored by the PCM and I'm not sure if the gauge temp sensor would work with the CTS2. You could monitor Engine Oil Temp (EOT) from the PCM. Fuel Pressure would also need a sensor as it is not monitored by the PCM. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
My Son had a CTS2 for his 96 ECSB, that we made into 4x4 and swapped to a Manual. His unit would quit when changing programs and always seemed flakey and would loose signal. He contacted Edge and they didn’t seem to have a lot of supports? Eventually he switched to a Hydra tuner and sold the CTS2. Works on some trucks and I guess others not. I run Hydra tuner with Jelibuilt files, very pleased with files. Just installed gauges from Isspro EV2 series, EGT, Boost and tranny temp for my ZF-5 which is a little overkill as the ZFs are robust trannies. Toying with a tranny cooler, pump and filter once I get baseline data for tranny temps, don’t really need one, was more for sport as I have most all the bits and pieces for a cooler on hand.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Install is obviously more labour intensive then the CTS2, however I’m kinda old school and didn’t really mind the effort and I know no body will smash a window and grab the gauges.
28505AF9-1A86-49A7-9C0A-1C7A46BC3D31.jpeg

·
Registered
131 Posts
  1. I like the cts2 I have one in each of my 7.3's and that's 3 of them . I like its easier to wire on other sending units then gauges plus u can monitor way more then just 4 piller gauges I sold 4 isspro gauges because of that . Plus run codes . And has ability to use a back up camera. Also helps me keep up with oil and fuel filter changes. Pic of my 97 with gauges and what not . I do run a autometer elite boost gauge because it turns my secondary fuel pump on and off . Also have the hydra pod selector in my obs's . So just something for ya to look at .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
There is very little that you can actually monitor with a programmer on a 97 engine just plugged into the PCM or the OBD II port as far as what you really want to see while driving.

Edge programmers are also not known to be the best out there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is very little that you can actually monitor with a programmer on a 97 engine just plugged into the PCM or the OBD II port as far as what you really want to see while driving.

Edge programmers are also not known to be the best out there.
I disagree on that one . It will show the same things as superduty 7.3 . Plus we are just talking about the cts2 which is a monitor not a programmer. U can monitor up to 12 gauges at one time in one little small square cant do that with out 12 pod mounts . Lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I am on board with hydra for the programs. And I think down the line the cts2 will be better then regular gauges. But for right now I want to see egt, fuel pressure, boost, and water temp. So. If I got a cts2 just for monitoring and plugged it in and did not buy anything else I would only have boost and water temp of the four or would I also get fuel pressure? If that is the case I would only need to also buy the egt sensor to add on? Or would I need more sensors to buy for water and one for fuel pressure?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm running the Hydra and the CTS2. The CTS2 will NOT give you fuel pressure, EGT, or coolant temp. It does give you Engine Oil Temp, trans temp (for auto trans), HPOP pressure, MAP, Intake Air Temp, and a host of others. It does give you boost, but it is calculated off of the MAP. Which means it is not the most accurate, especially if you have a boost fooler.

I'm currently looking to add EGT and fuel pressure myself. The EGT is easy, edge has a kit that will plug and play with the CTS2. However, fuel pressure is a bit trickier I have found. Edge has a pressure sensor that is plug and play, but the reviews for the sensor are terrible. I'm debating on getting a good 5 volt pressure sensor and hooking it up to the edge vs using their sensor. Not sure if it'll be plug and play or if I'll have to wire in a resistor or what.

Engine Oil Temp if a fine substitute for coolant temp btw.

Also, the more you plug into the CTS2 the better. It has data logging and alarm capability. Besides not making my truck look like an F16 cockpit, it's one of the reasons I went with it. Being able to read trouble codes whenever they happen is pretty darn nice too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts