Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been chasing this problem since I finished my 4x4 5-speed swap. You guy had given me a few pointers a few months back and iv worked on it off and on. The truck has a one peice shaft and I replaced it with a new shaft made for my truck with a double carded front joint and I put tapered blocks in rear(5degree). The truck has the exact same vibration. Tonight I put the truck on jack stands and ran it up to 55-60. The vibration seems consintrated at transfer case. I dropped the rear shaft and it seemed to go away. Put it back on and it’s back. I put a stethoscope on the transfer case and it didn’t seem to make and abnormal noise and I put it on rear end and it seemed smooth as glass. The entire time I do this I can feel it vibrating. It seems it would be the shaft but it’s been on two dif shafts with two dif setups. The shaft was balanced when I bought it and cost an arm and a leg and didn’t fix it. I thought forsure it was the problem. Is there a chance it could be the transfer case and it just dose it when it has the load of the drive train. I also checked oil in transfer case. It’s at the right level. I didn’t drain it to see if there was any shavings in it. It’s new fluid when I installed the transfer case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m not sure what to do and don’t want to through more money at it and it not fix the prob. Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Grab the output yoke and see if it has any play.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear yoke of t case has no play but the front dose. Front shaft was not sping when I was under truck last night.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My 95 Bronco had a lift and sat on 35's. I had an unloaded vibration at 55-70mph. I replaced the tires, and had the driveshaft rebuilt and rebalanced but the vibration was still there. On a whim I swapped in a transfer case I had laying around and the vibration went away. Never did figure out what was wrong with the transfer case. Everything felt tight and smooth.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope that’s the case. I am getting one from a salvage yard for 310 with a one year warranty along with labor. It’s got 150000 miles. I just don’t know enough about transfer cases to know if it’s posable the vibration is coming from it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear Nut for the out put yoke it tight but I will check the fron since it’s got play. That essentially spinning during vibration though

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The chain in the case is rotating any time the driveshaft is turning on the 2wd output , so I suppose you could possibly get a vibration of sorts ... I’m like you , I think it needs a transfer case .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like it’s the last thing left.... I should have also said the trans and transfer case came from a f350 with 206000 miles or so.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled the transfer case out last night and all seemed to be well with it. I’m hoping a dif transfer case fixes it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do. I hope to have the new transfer case tomorrow so we will see. I keep messing with the old one and everything seems to be good as far as I can tell. Crossing fingers that if fixes it. Ready to have my truck back with no vibrations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the bolts on the transfer case to tranny joint. I had a bad vibration that started at about 35 - 40 then would sort of go away. All my U-joints checked fine. Turns out all of the bolts had backed out. I didn't find this out until I stepped on the pedal at a light and it fell out ..... Lucky i didn't damage the drive shafts. Was able to lift it back into place and use the one remaining bolt to get to a better location.

Randy

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s already out but there where tight when pulled out. But ya I’m hearing is there is still hope it’s my t case!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The new transfer case is I. And the vibration is exactly the same...... no sure where to go now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There good put them in in 2015. I pulled the axle shafts out and ran the truck on jack stands. Same vibration. I pulled the diff cover and took a look in there. Everything looked good. Only thing I think is odd with the rear end is it’s a limited slip but seems to be locked together all the tine. Never makes noise when going around corners or anything but the tires always spin together if it’s in hack stands. I tried to spin one tire and the other spins with it not the other direction like I thought it would. Idk of that just means the clutches are in good shape or if that means there is a prob. I don’t know a lot about difs.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Could be welded. I would look closer to the flywheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the drive shaft is disconnected the vibration is gone. And it dose it any any gear that I can get up to that speed in

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Yeah, I went back and saw that. Lol
I wonder if it could be a bent axle shaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts