Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a rough country 4in lift. I have all new steering parts and steering gear box. My main question is, How do I connect the drive from my f250 to the f350 axle?

I was told that I could mate two U-joints into one working part and use my f250 drive shaft, is that possible?

Thanks for the help

·
7,971 Posts
first off, it depends on what year axle you are going to use.
personally i would use everything from the F-350.
axle, spring, steering linkage, and driveshaft so when going for parts in the future you just need to tell the counter monkey: i need @#$% for a F350 4X4 whatever year the parts came out of.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
You really need the dual cardan drive shaft from the F350

·
Registered
41 Posts
Machine shop would lengthen it. Just need numbers to give them. Havent had any issues with mine. Everything bolted right up. I use it often, i gut firewood in my days of so it gets abused a bit. Hence why i did the swap. I broke two ttb front diffs chained up. Havent had any issue with the d60

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
One thing on the F250's is that there was a TSB out that covered replacement front drive shafts if there was a vibration from the front end as you drove with the front hubs locked in. That is how I got the F350 double cardan drive shaft on my 96 F250.

On lengthening it you might want to see if there is a drive line shop in the area that you live. There is more to it than just adding a length of metal to make it work properly. A lot of machine shops are not set up to do it correctly.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Balancing has nothing to do with the vibration issue. It's a matter of angles at either end of the driveshafts not being equal and offsetting. The dual cardan shaft corrects this issue.

Running a dual cardan driveshaft requires changing out the yoke at the front output of the transfer case.

On the subject of balancing it can be avoided if runout is removed from the shaft. However, it's easier/faster/cheaper for a production shop to balance as an alternative.

In my area there are specialty driveshaft/driveline shops. It takes a big lathe to build driveshafts in.

The actual swap of a Dana 60, including the parts required, is well documented on this site and others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also put a d60 in a f250 used original front shaft. I had no lift so I didn’t have to lengthen it. Make sure you use the panhard bar or you will get the death wobble. I tried without it I got up to 25mph and backed back up the road and back into the shop to install it.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
With all due respect, I recommend getting V code SD springs and get a PMF (Precision Metal Fabrications) Shackle reversal kit. It’s a bolt on front spring hanger assembly that fits perfectly. Rough country springs are just that.... rough. The Ford front shackle is junk, the inframe bushing will always wear out as it’s so narrow and small. Steering will always be like herding chickens due to the stock front shackle side to side slop. The RSK puts a robust shackle at the rear of the spring, you will be surprised at how well it SD springs will ride and handle. Matched with anti sway bars front and rear, and SD springs on the rear. You’ll be pleased. I’ve done 4 different trucks now and wouldn’t own one without an RSK on it.
j

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With all due respect, I recommend getting V code SD springs and get a PMF (Precision Metal Fabrications) Shackle reversal kit. It’s a bolt on front spring hanger assembly that fits perfectly. Rough country springs are just that.... rough. The Ford front shackle is junk, the inframe bushing will always wear out as it’s so narrow and small. Steering will always be like herding chickens due to the stock front shackle side to side slop. The RSK puts a robust shackle at the rear of the spring, you will be surprised at how well it SD springs will ride and handle. Matched with anti sway bars front and rear, and SD springs on the rear. You’ll be pleased. I’ve done 4 different trucks now and wouldn’t own one without an RSK on it.
j
I 100% hear you on that. I wanted to do exactly what you recommended. I priced it out and I didn't have all the money for the whole process. I know the rough country kits aren't wonderful, but its handy to have everything sold as one kit, as apposed to buying everything from different places. I know that a RKS would ride wy better, but i know I will see an great improvement from my current setup. My truck as of now has ragged out front springs, worn out shocks, bad ball joints, and slop in all the steering parts. It will be a huge difference with the rough country kit, plus all new steering parts and ball joints.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Another question I had is, Where can I get a set of obs sway bar frame mounts? The parts that bolt to the frame and the sway bar links bolt to.
For the front? I may have a pair...let me look this weekend. You might have to messenger me as I am rarely on here lately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts