Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up this morning in Colorado and my truck wouldn't start. It has always started in even sub zero temperatures and this morning was the warmest day we've had in a while (40 degrees now).

When I turn the key, the 'wait to start' light comes on and then turns off after a few seconds, just like normal. When I try to start it, the engine turns over (even quite fast compared to lately with it being so cold out).

Hoping it was just the fuel filter clogged up, my buddy picked me up and we went and got a new fuel filter (Napa gold 3817) and installed it in a few minutes. Unfortunately, it still won't start.

Since we had the cover off of the top, we noticed the Schrader valve that we believe is the fuel pressure relief. We tried pressing the valve and expected fuel to spew out but got nothing. Then we realized that it might not have pressure unless it's running or cranking. So we tried pressing the fuel relief valve while cranking and fuel spewed out.

So now we are really confused. It seems the fuel pump is working and now there is a new fuel filter. There is no check engine light and the wait to start light still works like normal.

Any suggestions or advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Woke up this morning in Colorado ...
Were you expecting to wake up somewhere else this morning?... <kidding!!!>

Do you see any white smoke from the exhaust while cranking? Do you happen to see the tach move while cranking?

If you crank it for a while, does the oil pressure "gauge" on the dash eventually move?

Have you checked the oil level?

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Your truck has a mechanical fuel pump ( camshaft driven) so it won't pump fuel unless you're cranking. Aside from what has been stated, check all fuses, and scan it if possible

·
Registered
558 Posts
Check the Glow Plug relay first. Should have 12 volts on both of the big terminals with the key in the ON position. If it's not working it will not start in those temps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The fuel bowl has a little heating element in it. The soldered grounding points wear out over time and the element grounds on the bottom of the bowl, blowing a 30 amp maxi fuse located in the Power Distribution Box under the hood. I think it's the first maxi fuse towards the engine. This fuse powers (I believe) the PCM relay, so when it blows, the PCM doesn't work. After checking the glow plug relay I would check that! If it is the heating element, just unplug it (theres a wire going to the bottom of the fuel bowl, thats the one).

·
Ford truck newb
10 Posts
I'm having pretty much the same problem with my 97. Great advice on here!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oops, thats true. Good call madpogue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys! Thanks for all the great help. I am very glad I was able to fix it myself with your advice and not take it in to just get new parts thrown at it until it works.

So from start to finish:
We checked all the fuses, they were good.
We checked the fuel bowl, it was full of fuel and when we cranked the engine, it had pressure to shoot fuel out of the pressure release valve on the side of the bowl.
We had a wait to start light the whole time so that was good.
Then we checked the glow plug relay. At first we just put a volt meter across the two big bolts and had 12v. But then we watched a youtube video and found out that one of the big bolts is constant on and the other is switched on. So we checked both bolts to ground with the key off and then with the key on and found that the switched bolt did not receive any power. We could even hear the relay make a clicking sound when we turned the key forward but the internals were not making good enough contact. Hoping this was the only problem, we headed to the parts store and picked a new one up ($55!). We put it in and hallelujah! The trucked started instantly and continues to be my daily driver! I hope this thread can help someone out in the future.

I am adding a picture of the glow plug relay below. (Couldn't get my picture to upload so here is a similar one off the internet) From the point of view of the picture and from the front of the engine looking back, the large bolt on the front left was constant on while the large bolt on the back right was the bolt that was supposed to get 12 volts when the key was turned forward.

Again, thanks so much in helping (I think I got maybe one reply over on powerstroke.org).
Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts