Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1997 F-Superduty...12v or 7.3?

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  97dodgectd 
#1 ·
Looking into buying a 97 F-Superduty with a blown 7.3 and 5 speed trans. I currently have a dodge parts truck with a 12 valve and blown up 5 speed which I'm trying to sell. Is it worth all the effort to swap in the cummins? or should I just find a good running powerstroke if i want to go the route of the dedicated work truck? Thanks for the tips!

#2 ·
I like the 12v cummins and if I ever have the chance I'll put one in my OBS

#5 ·
Certainly a lot of info on it and shops that supply conversion parts. May want to move this to the motor swap section where there are a lot more guys watching.

#7 ·
I agree with just buying another 7.3 and dropping it in, but I can see your point if you already have the 5.9 sitting there.

So if you are planning on doing the conversion check out FordCummins they will have what you aready don't have.

#8 ·
If a mod could move the thread that'd be great thanks. I agree on resale, you can't sell the truck to any old guy after a cummins swap. But I can't even get anybody to show up with cash for the damn 12 valve! Plus every powerstroke I find is already yanked from a truck, and I've been screwed too many times to make an investment on a non running engine. Thanks for all the replies! Keep em coming

#13 ·
The guy I just bought my 99 off of was swapping a 12V into a OBS truck and was putting the zf6 trans behind it. I was talking to him about it and he said the engine swap is pretty straight forward

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#15 ·
most running powerstrokes up here shoot gold out of the tailpipes Brad, and are priced accordingly
HAHAHA yess its a powerstroke, and says so on whats left of the front fenders so its gota be worth over 5 grand. Brad, how bout hookin a guy up with one of these 1800 dollar cab n chassis trucks? Exactly what I'm looking for

#22 ·
any updates on this? I'm going to be doing a 12v into a 97 f-superduty, but it's going to be a toy...so that's my reasoning on putting a 12v in vs. trying to build the 7.3 which is going to cost much more then a 12v.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.