Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1997 F350 standard cab 4x4 SWD with factory Camper Package. My front leaf springs are double as thick as a standard F350 and they have a load rating of 4250 instead of 2200 for stock F350. My ride is terrible without a load in it :mad:. Why is my GVWR is only 9000 lb. My buddy's F350 with standard springs has the same GVWR. What is the point in having the Camper Package if you can't carry any more weight? I would love to add a slide in camper I just think it will be over my GVWR. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
The camper package from the factory was designed to carry a heavy load 24/7/365 and not to really be a daily driver even if it does have the same payload as a normal F350.

As for your camper being overweight there are plenty out there that will not be overweight even win totally loaded. You just have to pick the right one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Camper prep package consisted of a rear sway bar and additional overload springs. The camper prep was to provide better handling when being loaded heavy. It was not to provide a higher GVW.

BTW: Overload springs only come into play when loaded heavy. They have no affect on the truck when empty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts