Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some crackhead stole my particle filter on my 1997 7.3 120K miles.
muffler shop wants $700 to replace it!

can I just eliminate it with a straight piece of pipe?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
No problem replacing it with a piece of 3 1/2" pipe. Ford used to sell a "test pipe" that would bolt right up. All you needed to do was to cut it to length bolt up one side and clamp the other.

I have had one on my truck for over 100,000 miles.

However if you are in a area that has emission testing the n the cat needs to go back on to pass those inspections if they do a visual.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem replacing it with a piece of 3 1/2" pipe. Ford used to sell a "test pipe" that would bolt right up. All you needed to do was to cut it to length bolt up one side and clamp the other.

I have had one on my truck for over 100,000 miles.

However if you are in a area that has emission testing the n the cat needs to go back on to pass those inspections if they do a visual.
By any chance do you have the test pipe part number?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can’t find any photos of the part you refer too, only crappy drawings or pictures of cardboard boxes. It looks like Similar part numbers do not have the 2 bolt flange. Does anyone know of an adapter that would bolt up, then I could use a piece of straight pipe.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
If you follow the link that I have posted it will take you to a picture of it.

Finding a flange so that you can bolt it on will be tough. Did they just cut it off or did they unbolt it? If they cut it the flange should still be there, if not I would just get a piece of 3 1/2 inch exhaust pipe and a couple of band clamps.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Bugman: Following your link, shows only a poor quality drawing And not a picture/photo.
they cut it all the way up to the flange so there is nothing to put a pipe over and simply clamp onto a remaining stub. Looks like its a ball type connection, as oppose to a donut gasket, although I am not sure.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
You still have the flange side of the converter. So all you need to do is to pull the flange off and have a heavy duty mufflershop flair out a new piece of pipe. Then cut that pipe to the length you need then use a band clamp on the tailpipe side.

You also have enough of the old pipe that a shop should be able to weld a new pipe to it.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I'm 400 miles away from my truck or I would get you a picture of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts