Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a used 97 powerstroke. It has 171,000 miles and it runs like a champ. The truck is listed for $9,950 but it needs a little work. It needs a front end alignment, a new tire, and new batteries. Other than that the truck is in great shape. But my major concern is the tranny. It shifts good and smoothly. do you think its going to be an issue because of how many miles it has? And let me know if you think its worth buying! :ford:

·
<< Very Soon
342 Posts
I'm looking at buying a used 97 powerstroke. It has 171,000 miles and it runs like a champ. The truck is listed for $9,950 but it needs a little work. It needs a front end alignment, a new tire, and new batteries. Other than that the truck is in great shape. But my major concern is the tranny. It shifts good and smoothly. do you think its going to be an issue because of how many miles it has? And let me know if you think its worth buying! :ford:
Needs a little work is the key here. What is a little bit of work? other than what you have listed. The price seems a little steep but also could be a steal too ... what is it Reg cab, extended cab, or crew cab... As far as the transmission that will depend if it has ever had any kind of performance mods done too it, and if you plan on doing any in the future it will become one of your weak points. But if you plan on not doing to many go fast goodies you should be okay. Have you checked the fluids? Do they look good? these are all things you want to consider....:ford:

On edit if you have a link and or pictures to give a better idea of what your thinking of buying.

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only needs what I said. It's all stock. It's a extended cab long bed. I don't know how the fluids look but I do know it was a fleet truck. I do not plan on adding extreme power to it. Maybe some light tuning but nothing major.

·
Registered
842 Posts
what about balljoints an such could be th reason for alignment 9900 seems a bit too steep

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
10k is way steep. I would say its worth in the 7-8500 range just from what you mentioned. Lower miles mostly.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i would be thinking more in the 5-6000 range... my 2000 with only 101k cclb 4x4 xlt in great shape i paid 10 for it so 5-6000 should be fair

·
Registered
842 Posts
Kinda what i was thinking. Maybe a little higher if the truck is completely immaculate
would have to be spotless with no scratches/stains problems but he said it was a fleet truck so i doubt that

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer just put on new ball and universal joints. could that be why the alignment is off? KBB.com says the truck is worth $7020. the dealer wont drop but $200 of there price.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The dealer just put on new ball and universal joints. could that be why the alignment is off? KBB.com says the truck is worth $7020. the dealer wont drop but $200 of there price.
Then walk away and find another. Let them sit on it. Dont be the fool to overpay by that much, let someone else be that guy or gal.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I bet you could find a better truck for cheaper.

also is this a 250 or 350?
single cab? ext cab? crew cab?

ok since I just saw you said its an ext cab long bed then that means a 250.....no way I would pay that for it.

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet you could find a better truck for cheaper.

also is this a 250 or 350?
single cab? ext cab? crew cab?

ok since I just saw you said its an ext cab long bed then that means a 250.....no way I would pay that for it.
extedned cab f250

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i guess i have to walk away from this one. thanks!

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I paid 6k for mine a year a ago with 168k on it. keep looking

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
like I said I just saw that.

I have seen obs f-350 crew cab 4x4s with the same miles go for around 5k and thats with performance mods.
Its all good. haha.

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer thats selling the truck is called Autoland outlets. take a look at the truck i'm talking about if you guys want.

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright. ill keep looking. If you know anyone or if you see one forsale let me know.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
have you checked the classifieds here?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts