Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy PSN!
I've got a 1997 7.3 with 245k miles. I recently replaced the HPOP. I replaced the IPR while I was at it. When I first cranked it up when I was finished, it did not start the first time but the second time it started right up. After starting it got a horrible loping idle (jumping between 500- 700 RPM). I let it run for about 5 mins before turning it off. After that I started it back up and got it on the road after the idle dulled out. It stopped and I had no surging injectors when accelerating either. It stalled a few times when driving. I simply put it into neutral and turned the key to start it. I stopped at a rest stop near the house and checked all of the components and sensors. When I went to restart it caught but then died shortly after.
The next day I headed to get some oil and added 2.5 quarts, when I started it back up with out the accelerator it did not stall (I had been giving it gas when I started it before). But when I got home and let it cool I went to restart it and it went back to stalling. I've messed with the TPS a little and I have think I narrowed it down. I am not certain though.
The bad starting sounded like this <-- Link.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank y'all!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Since these are diesel and accelerator-by-wire, they don't really respond to the old gasser adage of "give it a couple of pumps " before starting. You may still have air in the HP Oil System after the work. Voltage, at least by the gauge, is all over the place (not that that would cause the stall). Usually you need to "drive it like you stole it" for a while to get the air out. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since these are diesel and accelerator-by-wire, they don't really respond to the old gasser adage of "give it a couple of pumps " before starting. You may still have air in the HP Oil System after the work. Voltage, at least by the gauge, is all over the place (not that that would cause the stall). Usually you need to "drive it like you stole it" for a while to get the air out. Cheers!
Turns out it was a knock off IPR valve, thank you though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts