Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this truck that’s been sitting for 3 years and today was it’s first day at work. I’m hauling a 7x16 enclosed trailer with 2 big zero turn mowers in it. I was using a 98 Chevy k1500 with the 5.7 that did fine. I don’t understand all the hype about how “7.3 will pull a house down” that I’ve seen in the past but from a dead stop it takes 30 seconds to get to 60mph and on the free way it won’t hold 65 going up a hill. I have 4:10s my half ton hauled the same set up and would do so much better. Is there something wrong with my truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What transmission do you have?
What RPM are you turning at 65?

Mine is an E4OD with 4.10's, and does not like 65.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Might be in need of a set of injectors .

But first , have you serviced it ? Oil and filter change . These engines use high pressure oil to fire the injectors and if the engine oil is used up then they run - not as well as then could . New fuel filter ? Checked the air filter ? If that truck set any length of time then there’s a possibility that the air filter box is full of mice nest stuff .
Have you cleaned the fuel strainer in the fuel bowl ? That strainer is bad for getting full of trash and cause a no power issue like the truck is doing you now ....
these trucks aren’t rockets but they should walk all over a 5.7 , and no not because it’s a Chevy .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be in need of a set of injectors .

But first , have you serviced it ? Oil and filter change . These engines use high pressure oil to fire the injectors and if the engine oil is used up then they run - not as well as then could . New fuel filter ? Checked the air filter ? If that truck set any length of time then there’s a possibility that the air filter box is full of mice nest stuff .
Have you cleaned the fuel strainer in the fuel bowl ? That strainer is bad for getting full of trash and cause a no power issue like the truck is doing you now ....
these trucks aren’t rockets but they should walk all over a 5.7 , and no not because it’s a Chevy .

All That stuff was changed while I was working on it trying to get it to start I don’t remember looking for trash in the fuel bowl I can look tomorrow tho. But as of right now the 5.7 would destroy the 7.3 but I’d like for it to be the other way around

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
All That stuff was changed while I was working on it trying to get it to start I don’t remember looking for trash in the fuel bowl I can look tomorrow tho. But as of right now the 5.7 would destroy the 7.3 but I’d like for it to be the other way around

The strainer in the fuel bowl is part of the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel bowl. It will require some disassembly to get to it and a few cans of brake clean and compressed air to clean it . You’ll also need some new Orings too while you’re in there .
One other thing you can check is to make sure the exhaust back pressure valve is open all the way / is functional as well . If you’re in a warm climate unplug it , it’s a oil leak waiting to happen and a restriction on the exhaust .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The strainer in the fuel bowl is part of the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel bowl. It will require some disassembly to get to it and a few cans of brake clean and compressed air to clean it . You’ll also need some new Orings too while you’re in there .
One other thing you can check is to make sure the exhaust back pressure valve is open all the way / is functional as well . If you’re in a warm climate unplug it , it’s a oil leak waiting to happen and a restriction on the exhaust .

I live in middle TN our weather is whatever it chooses to be but I’d say it’s more warm than cold

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I second what longjonsilver said. But will add, did you check the air cleaner? Does it smoke when you are pulling?

Also a good idea to check exhaust manifolds and up pipes for leaks, and check the hoses between the turbo Y and the heads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I second what longjonsilver said. But will add, did you check the air cleaner? Does it smoke when you are pulling?

Also a good idea to check exhaust manifolds and up pipes for leaks, and check the hoses between the turbo Y and the heads.

No smoke what so ever it has a new air filter

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ok, then you've ruled out lugging and restricted intake. Longjonsilver has you on the right track for diagnosing the fuel system. If it was mine I'd still check for exhaust leaks as mentioned, just because it's a common thing. Check out dieselorings.com, they have a lot of good diagrams for the fuel bowl and attached devices, plus they are a great source for parts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ll add this if I put it to the floor it’s a dog until it reaches about 2700rpm so basically when it shifts. But anything after 60 if I floor it it just makes noise. But I feel some power when I’m in high rpm anything before 60mph

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, then you've ruled out lugging and restricted intake. Longjonsilver has you on the right track for diagnosing the fuel system. If it was mine I'd still check for exhaust leaks as mentioned, just because it's a common thing. Check out dieselorings.com, they have a lot of good diagrams for the fuel bowl and attached devices, plus they are a great source for parts.

This is my second 7.3 the first one was a 2001 and it was even slower. I sold it because I drove my neighbors 03 7.3 dually and it was a lot more powerful and I didn’t want to mess with fixing mine but my company needs a bigger better truck for hauling the heavier trailers and I thought another 7.3 was the best route

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
This is my second 7.3 the first one was a 2001 and it was even slower. I sold it because I drove my neighbors 03 7.3 dually and it was a lot more powerful and I didn’t want to mess with fixing mine but my company needs a bigger better truck for hauling the heavier trailers and I thought another 7.3 was the best route

Once you get the bugs worked out I'm sure you'll be happy, sitting is harder on one then driving it every day. Mine has changed my perspective on life in general, ( I upgraded from a 390 Ford).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once you get the bugs worked out I'm sure you'll be happy, sitting is harder on one then driving it every day. Mine has changed my perspective on life in general, ( I upgraded from a 390 Ford).

I hope so I’m just tired of money pits.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I heard that! That's one of the best things about this forum, is the help diagnosing before spending money. These guys are great, sharing a lot of experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I heard that! That's one of the best things about this forum, is the help diagnosing before spending money. These guys are great, sharing a lot of experience.

I know that already I’m by no means an expert on these and you and another guy i don’t know his user name but he’s working a 7.3 ambulance... helped me get it running in the first place

1 - 20 of 131 Posts