Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all these fourms about this problem and have tried everything I know to try. Need some help. I have a 1996 F350 powerstroke 5 speed 4x4. The truck quit on me a couple of times then would start back. The wts light and the check engine light would flash back and fourth, now no wts light at all. This is what I have done so far. Fuel bowl heater is unpluged. All fuses are good in both fuse panels. switched out pcm relay with the horn relay to confirm it was good and it was. Disconnected the pcm and checked the pins with a pin diagram. Had power where I was supposed to and all my grounds were .5 ohm resistence or less. At this point I figured it was a bad pcm. I replaced it and no change. My tach was moving but now is not. Replaced the altanator cause it tested bad.

I'm not sure where else to go. I haven't replaced the cps because i didn;t think it would affect the wts light. But i just read where it might. unsure on this. I know this problem is all over the threads but the only solution is fuse 22, and I've already been down that road.

Any advice would be appreicated. Thanks!!!

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Will it scan? What codes does it have? Is the tach moving? The IDM is on the same circuit as the fuel heater and PCM relay, the PCM controls the WTS light/glow plugs. And fuse 22 powers that cicuit up. So double check all the fuses under the hood. # 22 is under the hood and should be the very inside fuse, also check and see if the glow plugs are working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured it out. It would not scan and the tach was not moving. #22 fuse was good and I had already unpluged the fuel bowl heater. I went through that problem a couple years ago. My problem was the EBP sensor. I guess these sensors go bad due to being in the exhaust. It my understanding that all sensors on this truck recieve 5 volts to work from the pcm. The sensor shorted out and was taking that 5 volts away from all sensors and shuting down the pcm. Thus why the tach wouldn't move and so forth. I unpluged the EPB sensor and the wts light came on and the trucked fired right up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply toolmangary. I beat my head against the wall for 2 weeks trying to figure this out. I guess if any sensor shorts out it will do this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts