Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,859 Posts
Forscan works for me on my galaxy S9, but it's easier and has more features on the laptop, and my laptop has bluetooth, so I use the same BAFX dongle for both phone and laptop.

Reactions: Dodgeisbetter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
FINALLY got the Forscan to work. Have a few error codes for different stuff, P0603,P0236, P0470. The P0603 code seems like it might have something to do with the shifting issues. Went on a test drive and monitored the "dashboard" Shift Solenoid 1 & 2. At idle (in any range) Solenoid 1 is ON, and 2 is OFF. When cruising, 2 turns ON, and 1 remains ON, UNTIL I briefly take my foot off the pedal. Then 2 is ON and 1 switches OFF. This is now in 2nd gear. Still no 3rd gear. no matter how fast or how much rpm, absolutely no changes in the Solenoid positions. any ideas? Bad PCM? Bad wiring? I'll crawl under there and check all the wires again. Seems to me that the transmission isn't the issue, but does anyone disagree? Thanks...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Can someone verify this:

1st gear: SS1 ON, SS2 OFF
2nd gear: SS1 ON, SS2 ON
3rd gear: SS1 OFF, SS2 ON
4th gear (OD) SS1 OFF, SS2 OFF

If this is the case then it sounds like i have a serious somewhere somehow... 😳

Here's the deal with my truck:

1st gear: SS1 ON, SS2 OFF
1st gear ~1900rpm: SS1 ON, SS2 ON
Takes foot off pedal for a sec
2nd gear: SS1 OFF, SS2 ON

What in the hell is going on?!?

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
None of them have anything to do with the transmission.

P0603 is the keep alive memory code. It will be set anytime that you disconnect power to the PCM and then reconnect it. Or disconnecting the batteries and then reconnecting them.

P0236 is a boost sensor I believe

P0470 is the exhaust back pressure valve code.

Since I have a manual that is all about I can do for you.

Reactions: Dodgeisbetter

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd have to setup a screen on my phone for it but I can check my shift solenoids as it shifts. I could be mistaken but 2nd should be OFF,OFF as I believe the trans defaults to 2nd with no power to shift solenoids, haven't tried it tho. Usually the sequence is
1st; ON, OFF
2nd; OFF, OFF
3rd; OFF, ON
4th; ON, ON
That is for most older Chevy and ford 4 speed transmissions I've troubleshot in the past. I would suggest just looking at the gear commanded PID instead of the shift solenoids individually. It really does not sound like you have an electrical issue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I just tested it on my way home from work and unless I'm interpreting car gauge pro incorrectly (it's happened before) I am correct on the shift solenoid sequence. have you tried ohming out the solenoid pack? Then ohming out the wire at the PCM with the solenoid pack plugged in? It seems it's only shifting when SSA changes state so SSB could be stuck on or off and not changing state when being commanded.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
So I just tested it on my way home from work and unless I'm interpreting car gauge pro incorrectly (it's happened before) I am correct on the shift solenoid sequence. have you tried ohming out the solenoid pack? Then ohming out the wire at the PCM with the solenoid pack plugged in? It seems it's only shifting when SSA changes state so SSB could be stuck on or off and not changing state when being commanded.
Thank you. I also verified that that is the correct shift pattern. I spoke to a mechanic last night, told him the problem and diagnostics, and he said it's the valve body that is worn out because of the soft aluminum used. Basically the fluid is going around a closed valve and causing all sorts of weird shifting and crap.

Anway the truck is for sale if anyone needs a parts rig. I just want to get out what I have into it becuase I don't have time right now. I am asking $2000. If I can't sell it I'll cough up the money and labor and replace the valve body. If that fixes the shifting issue, I am planning to get the title, fix the dents, paint the truck, and THEN sell it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1703029283171619/

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
I'd have to setup a screen on my phone for it but I can check my shift solenoids as it shifts. I could be mistaken but 2nd should be OFF,OFF as I believe the trans defaults to 2nd with no power to shift solenoids, haven't tried it tho. Usually the sequence is
1st; ON, OFF
2nd; OFF, OFF
3rd; OFF, ON
4th; ON, ON
That is for most older Chevy and ford 4 speed transmissions I've troubleshot in the past. I would suggest just looking at the gear commanded PID instead of the shift solenoids individually. It really does not sound like you have an electrical issue.
That's wrong. The trans defaults to fourth gear with no power to the solenoids.
1st ON, OFF
2nd ON, ON
3rd OFF, ON
4th OFF, OFF

Reactions: TDtech1
61 - 69 of 69 Posts