Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday we were talking our other truck to drop it off at the dealer and my fiancé have to stop and get fuel and go to the store so I was killing some time and started the truck up and let it warm up and went and picked some stuff from the garden. Came back and truck had died. Truck wouldn’t start so I I go to change fuel filter and right be for I do that I check the oil. No oil on dip stick. Add a gal and a half and we are off going down the road. Well I took about 130 mile trip and I had to add another 4 gal during this. There is t 4 gal worth of oil on the ground and not 4 gal worth of oil going out the tail pipe. I’m thinking injector o rings and the oil is just mixing with fuel and being returned to tank. Does this seem to be the correct assumption?

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Look at your fuel filter, odds are it will be black.

Injector O rings are in your future if it is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll be back home Thursday and I will check but that’s what I’m thinking. Really not many places for that much oil to go if not leaking or burning.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
That much oil has got to be injector O-rings. The only other place would be that terrible but that things should be smoking like a train if that was the case

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I agree. At one point I was leaking a gal every thousand miles and the truck would drop oil from rear axle when I stopped at stores and stuff lol. Was thinking about telling my better half the injectors were bad and putting baby swamps in it haha. Prolly shouldn’t do that....

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Now would be the time to do it if you can swing it.

Also if your glow plugs haven't been changed out that you know of, change them out now since you will have them out when you do the injectors.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did those like 25000 ago. Ya I think she would be a little angry with me if she found out lol

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
That is how I got my 97 F350
She "drank" almost all 15 quarts of her oil

If you look at how the HEUI injector works....there is over 3000 psi in the high pressure oil side of things and only 68 psi of fuel rail pressure
So when the O rings that separate the high pressure oil from the fuel system fail....well it does not take long for 3000 psi worth of oil pressure to feed oil into the combustion chambers.
Basically your crank case oil becomes fuel
Injector O rings are the cause
If you have hard starts when cold then it maybe time for new injectors (worn poppet valves)
Also check the coolant cups very carefully when installing new O rings, you must get everything very very clean for the O rings and copper crush washer to seal.

I went through the wringer with my 97.......only had my injectors out like 4 times now shes a hauling SOB daily driver :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I’m thinking a lot of the oil got mixed with fuel and returned to take because the truck didn’t smoke much. Going to see what ford wants for there orings. How you like your baby swamps. I remember reading your build.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Diesel O Rings will have a better price on O rings than Ford perhaps. I know that Ford has been having some good prices on parts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I think it’s like 62 or something for all 8 at diesel orings. That’s where I get my parts to rebuild fuel bowl

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
dieselorings is the way to go, (he) they are awesome!! parts ship so fast and between them and riff raff there is not much out there for your 7.3 you cannot get from those two.

The baby swamps are just plain awesome
I plan swaps injectors for the Van and Excursion as $$$ allows
I would recommend them to anyone, Swamps has been awesome. I towed like 13-14000 of brick this summer with an OBS...a 10,000 bulldozer, and a 9000 mini excavator all home with ease....well the brick actually caught my front brakes on fire but swamps has nothing to do with stopping LOL!!
try that with a stock 97!!

So if you can't tell I am a huge fan of my baby swamps injectors they fit my needs perfectly.

my fav mods:
Tightwad mod
6.0 intercooler
up pipes
baby swamps with tunes

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
before the intercooler EGT would climb so fast I had to get off the feed pedal and tow at much much slower speeds
Now with the FMIC I can mash the fuel feed pedal most times.... in fact with most loads on inclines (IE mountain passes) the EGT will climb up to 1250 or so then start to DROP BACK DOWN

Without the IC I could reach 1200 degrees very very quickly and then you are at like 1/2 throttle, 3rd-4th gear for the rest of the climb up the pass so you do not melt your exhaust (the 7.3 will run and pull keeping it at 1200 degrees all day long)
Now that I have learned the truck I hardly ever even see the EGT gauge, but man it sure is nice to have one so you can learn how this all works together.
Things like "get into the boost before the pass" and "getting under the turbo" really start to make sense

If you plan to tow heavy loads with a OBS 7.3 I consider the intercooler a MUST DO, plus its actually pretty easy since the Superduty charge pipes can be made to fit like stock with zero custom mods (99 spyder, longer silicon hoses).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s the plan but a little off in the future. Thank you for the info. Hadn’t wed anyone talk about them with out intercooler. Also what kind of boost do you have with those injectors? But so when doing the orings do you have any pointers as far as the oil and fuel that will freakin in to cylinder when injectors are pulled? Last time I did them I have my engine on an engine stand. Wish I would have used better quality orings. Live and learn

·
PSN
78 Posts
My best friend runs baby swamps in his 97 non IC truck, he loves them and tows with it all the time but obviously he watches and drives/tows by his pyro.

I would def add an IC later though.. I guess it will depend on your driving/towing style...

Slow, steady and patient ( best friend)
Or
I want to move this load with out worry NOW.. ( me)

As far as oil in cylinders. Pull rears first, oil will drain from heads /gravity to rear, use a mighty vac pump to suck out oil with a small tube

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
You want to pull the glow plugs along with the injectors. Then once the injectors are back in turn it over by hand with the glow plugs out. This will get a lot of the oil out of the cylinders. Then put some rags over the injectors and glow plugs or even just sit the valve covers back on and bump it a few times with the starter. Then after bumping it a few times turn it over fast. This should get all the oil out of the cylinders. Then before you put the glow plugs back in turn the engine over until you hear the HPOP start to load up and pressurize the oil galleries. Then once it is loaded up put the glow plugs back in and again just place the valve covers loosely back onto the heads and start the engine up. You can now take a look at the injectors and make sure that all of them are spitting oil before you button it up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for pointers. Have to order orings still maybe a week or two. Don’t use the truck alot

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Thank you for pointers. Have to order orings still maybe a week or two. Don’t use the truck alot
I have driven my truck more in the last week than I did the last 7 months.

Two years ago I only put 2500 miles on it and last year was only a little over 5,000 and that included a 2200 mile round trip to Arizona and back home.

Come next May when I do my annual oil change I'll be around 2700 miles.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya since 2014 I think it’s had 35000 miles put on it and a lot of work in that time frame. 4x4 manual swap, changed it from a Cali to federal truck and had the engine out once.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts