Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 F250, XLT Ext Cab, Long bed, 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I drove out to work (35 miles). At the end of the day, got in and started on my way home. About a mile down the road, the truck seemed to lose all power and starting running very rough. White exhaust smoke was also present. It acted a lot like it did when I lost an injector o-ring. I pulled over and I can't recall if I turned it off or if it eventually died. I tried restarting, it would crank but not fire. I was about to give up but then it did fire however very roughly. But then it smoothed out after idling for 5 or so minutes, I drove it all the way back into town with zero issues. I drove it around town for a while with no issues, and even once more out to work. The other day I got in to take it to work and about a mile down the road it happened again. There would be no response to the pedal, then there would be. Really rough idle, felt like only one cylinder firing. Limped it back home and drove something else. After work, came back to it, it fired right up, drove it around with no issues, smooth, normal power, pedal response as expected. Any thoughts? I've had the truck for 10 yrs now but am just now in the point of my life to start learning and working on it myself.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Welcome!

Any mods to the truck such as a chip/tuner? Is the CEL illuminated? I would check the oil level and fuel pressure when cranking and at idle. Check the electrical harness connections to the valvecovers (there are 2 per side) for evidence of melting/burning or oil intrusion. You might even remove the Injector Driver Module (IDM, the box on the inner fender below the driver's side hood hinge) and see if there is any water sloshing around in it while also checking for any possible connection issues in the connector. I would also download the Forscan/Forscan Lite app and get a suitable ELM-327 adapter so you can read/clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), watch/record live data, and run available tests such as the Injector Buzz test and Cylinder Contribution test. I run Forscan Lite on my iPhone 7 with an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth adapter (there are cheaper units out there, but I happened to catch this one on sale). Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Any mods to the truck such as a chip/tuner? Is the CEL illuminated? I would check the oil level and fuel pressure when cranking and at idle. Check the electrical harness connections to the valvecovers (there are 2 per side) for evidence of melting/burning or oil intrusion. You might even remove the Injector Driver Module (IDM, the box on the inner fender below the driver's side hood hinge) and see if there is any water sloshing around in it while also checking for any possible connection issues in the connector. I would also download the Forscan/Forscan Lite app and get a suitable ELM-327 adapter so you can read/clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), watch/record live data, and run available tests such as the Injector Buzz test and Cylinder Contribution test. I run Forscan Lite on my iPhone 7 with an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth adapter (there are cheaper units out there, but I happened to catch this one on sale). Cheers!
Thanks Patrick, I'll take a look at those things. Truck is stock aside from exhaust and an S&B intake, 230k miles. CEL is not currently illuminated. I should have paid more attention when the issue was present.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few months ago, I drove out to work (35 miles). At the end of the day, got in and started on my way home. About a mile down the road, the truck seemed to lose all power and starting running very rough. White exhaust smoke was also present. It acted a lot like it did when I lost an injector o-ring. I pulled over and I can't recall if I turned it off or if it eventually died. I tried restarting, it would crank but not fire. I was about to give up but then it did fire however very roughly. But then it smoothed out after idling for 5 or so minutes, I drove it all the way back into town with zero issues. I drove it around town for a while with no issues, and even once more out to work. The other day I got in to take it to work and about a mile down the road it happened again. There would be no response to the pedal, then there would be. Really rough idle, felt like only one cylinder firing. Limped it back home and drove something else. After work, came back to it, it fired right up, drove it around with no issues, smooth, normal power, pedal response as expected. Any thoughts? I've had the truck for 10 yrs now but am just now in the point of my life to start learning and working on it myself.
Check also your oil level - when I lost an injector o-ring and my oil level got low, it acted just like this...would run fine for a mile or two, then stumble and rough. Then it would run fine again for a bit. No codes.

Reactions: Patrick Feeley

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Screenshot Number

I have not been able to get under the hood yet, but was able to scan for some codes. Above is a screen shot, the two codes that were present, cleared, and came back, were P0236 and P0344. Are these consistent with the symptoms?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts