Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work when started smelling diesel fueI and stopped to check it, I opened the hood and noticed fuel was pumping out from somewhere at the front of the engine, I eventually found a large hole in a fuel line that runs from the front of the fuel bowl to the front of the driver's side head with a compression fitting on both ends. I cut the section out with the hole and spliced it together with a metal tube and hose clamps as a temp. fix but I need to replace the line because its dry rotted. I ordered the new line from Ford ( P.N- F4TZ-9D308-A they called it the return fuel line) but the problem is I can hardly see the end that connects to the front of the head much less get a wrench on it, it looks like I'll have to remove the AC compressor and bracket and maybe the vacuum pump. Just hoping someone has some ideas/experience on exactly how to do that.
Thanks for any advice, help in advance.

·
Registered
1997 F-350 CCLB 7.Tree
339 Posts
I was driving to work when started smelling diesel fueI and stopped to check it, I opened the hood and noticed fuel was pumping out from somewhere at the front of the engine, I eventually found a large hole in a fuel line that runs from the front of the fuel bowl to the front of the driver's side head with a compression fitting on both ends. I cut the section out with the hole and spliced it together with a metal tube and hose clamps as a temp. fix but I need to replace the line because its dry rotted. I ordered the new line from Ford ( P.N- F4TZ-9D308-A they called it the return fuel line) but the problem is I can hardly see the end that connects to the front of the head much less get a wrench on it, it looks like I'll have to remove the AC compressor and bracket and maybe the vacuum pump. Just hoping someone has some ideas/experience on exactly how to do that.
Thanks for any advice, help in advance.
Happy Tuesaday... Not,

Anyways, your going to have to remove some stuff on the drive side like the AC compressor to get to that fitting. The other side/fitting as you probably know is on the fuel bowl, there not hard to replace and are common leak points on our trucks. When I redid mine I went with riffraff steel braded lines. This is also one of those parts any hydraulic shop could of made for you. So in all youl need to drain the bowl to remove the fuel so it doesnt pour out, Catch the fuel if possible so you can prime the bowl again, remove belt, remove ac compressor, (might have to remove something else but i forget), remove the line/fitting on driver side. In all its a quick fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, I wont have time to do it till next week so I think I'll get a steel braided line while I'm waiting, good idea, I didnt think about that.
Thanks

·
Registered
1997 F-350 CCLB 7.Tree
339 Posts
Great, I wont have time to do it till next week so I think I'll get a steel braided line while I'm waiting, good idea, I didnt think about that.
Thanks
Driver Side & Passenger Side I would just replace both, the harder one is the driver side. My pass side was leaking but I ended up doing both because didn't want to go back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I'm getting them to make two new braided hoses, i dont want to sit on the side of the road for an hour again. I did notice the pass side looks much easier, and when my driver side leaked it wasn't a slow leak, I was running hard at about 2,400 rpm and by the time I smelled it and pulled over it flooded the entire engine and everything under the hood with fuel. It was dripping off of the entire undercarriage, back axle, back bumper, tail pipe, both back wheel wells etc. Big mess. When I looked at the hose it had a big hole/crack, very dryrotted, but apparently the driver side head was still getting enough fuel because it was running fine,. It must have popped open at the higher rpm's because I never noticed a leak before. I should have checked those lines years ago but i learned the hard way- as usual!
Thanks again for the help and reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts