Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

good deal buy the truck or bad deal steer clear?

• buy it

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • dont buy it

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to pick up a 1996 f250 xlt for $2,000. its got 283k and has a rebuilt trans, new brakes and newer 35" toyo open countries. the guy whos selling it said it has a blown head gaskets and was drivven for 2 miles like that and there is oil in cooling system and coolent in the oil. he drained all the fluids. so is $2000 a fair price for the truck? i'm more interested in it for a parts truck for the bed and a spare transmission. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm sure you could take off what you need and part the rest for at least $2000. Tires alone are worth about $1000.

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
Seems like a fairly good deal, since a rebuilt trans is worth $2k give or take. You should be able to make your money back by parting it out

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I personally wouldn't pay more than a 1000.
Last year i bought 2 trucks.
One was 96 F350 cab-n-chassis powerstroke auto 4x4 w 98k and the rear axle was blown(1000).
The other was a F350 c-n-c powerstroke stick 4x4 w 120k w needing fenders and cab corners(1500)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just me but i wouldnt touch it.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I personally wouldn't pay more than a 1000.
Last year i bought 2 trucks.
One was 96 F350 cab-n-chassis powerstroke auto 4x4 w 98k and the rear axle was blown(1000).
The other was a F350 c-n-c powerstroke stick 4x4 w 120k w needing fenders and cab corners(1500)
:whs:

Are we related? You sound like me, the way I buy I mean.

Retail
Wholesale
Firesale
Joesale

Outside of buying like I stole something - ask yourself - would I buy this truck without a motor? Because that's what you're doing. If the motor is ok then it's a bonus.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
If you personally didn't see coolant in the oil then it most likely is just bad oil cooler o-rings and the guy is assuming the worst and blaming head gaskets as the culprit. Most casual owners of these trucks don't even know that the cooler exists until it springs a major oil leak. If I were you I would buy it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
buy it, parts are worth alot more than 2000
rosewood will buy the injectors

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you personally didn't see coolant in the oil then it most likely is just bad oil cooler o-rings and the guy is assuming the worst and blaming head gaskets as the culprit. Most casual owners of these trucks don't even know that the cooler exists until it springs a major oil leak. If I were you I would buy it.
Hes fairly sure its head gaskets, he said it was smoking for the last 2 miles it ran and he already has done some work to tear down the engine to replace the head gaskets.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Hes fairly sure its head gaskets, he said it was smoking for the last 2 miles it ran and he already has done some work to tear down the engine to replace the head gaskets.
Wow have not seen too many of these trucks puke the headgaskets in stock form. :confused: Oilcooler maybe ??

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Definatly not more than a 1000

1 - 15 of 15 Posts