Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 E-Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke.

The engine starts and runs fine, although it is sluggish when cold and temperatures are around 32 degrees or below. However, if I attempt WOT at slow speeds, the CEL comes on and the engine won't rev up at all. I can barely get the truck to maintain 30 mph. The temporary fix is to shut the truck off and restart. After the restart, everything works fine until the CEL comes on again. I realise that I need to have the code read to get a real indication of what might be happening, but I was wondering is these symtoms sound familiar to anyone.
My other question is, will the ODBC II readers that are for sale on ebay generally read the codes from this truck?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes the readers will read dtc and u might be having a fuel issue but reading the dtc would help pin point ur problem

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
We have quite a few Canadian members here. Look through that list and see if there is anyone close.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The cheap code readers usually will not read codes on PSD's. If you are going to buy one make sure that it is capable of reading codes on Powerstroke diesels.

If you get a Superchips or Edge programer or something similar you can read codes with them. Sometimes people will sell them on ebay that are VIN locked so you can't use them for a power programer but they will still read codes.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Looks like they have an good return policy so you shouldn't loose to much if it won't work on your truck.

Let us know how it turns out that way we could reccomend this code reader to others if it works well on a PSD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts