Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have searched all the forums and cant seem to find a detailed writeup on upgrading the obs 7.3 alternator to the higher amperage A8TU0091 or ACDELCO 3341828

The question i need help with is the new alternator I've ordered doesn't have the single plug wire that goes to the stator like the original

Can I just cut that wire?

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Can I just cut that wire?
You can, but why? Leave it alone. It won't hurt anything hanging loose, but if this alternator doesn't work, you'll be glad it's still there when you swap back to the right alternator.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is the ambulance option alternator. Very robust. You will need longer bolts, a longer belt (if everything else is stock it will be the one listed for ambulance) Most important you need a much larger charge wire to the batteries and a 300 amp mega fuse. That alternator charges more at idle than the max of the stock one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the ambulance option alternator. Very robust. You will need longer bolts, a longer belt (if everything else is stock it will be the one listed for ambulance) Most important you need a much larger charge wire to the batteries and a 300 amp mega fuse. That alternator charges more at idle than the max of the stock one!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear because I need the amperage at idle for aircompressors etc
Thanks for the info 🙂

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have always used a small independent rebuild shop for my fleet and personal auto electric needs. Someone I have used a lot. I brought him my new to me 215 Mitsubishi alternator and asked him what he thought. “Near bulletproof, huge rectifier, huge bearings.” “Much better than the Leece Neville replacement for it.” He put it on the test stand, loaded it to around 200 amps and we went to lunch. Came back an hour later, still making 200 amps and you could lay your hand on it. Not hot. “Good to go” my guy says....
Since I picked up another one on EBay for $100 rebuilt...shop close out. Search for Lester catalog # 12075. Probably don’t need a spare but I hate having expensive one off parts with no spare..

Reactions: Adrian Nowland

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have always used a small independent rebuild shop for my fleet and personal auto electric needs. Someone I have used a lot. I brought him my new to me 215 Mitsubishi alternator and asked him what he thought. “Near bulletproof, huge rectifier, huge bearings.” “Much better than the Leece Neville replacement for it.” He put it on the test stand, loaded it to around 200 amps and we went to lunch. Came back an hour later, still making 200 amps and you could lay your hand on it. Not hot. “Good to go” my guy says....
Since I picked up another one on EBay for $100 rebuilt...shop close out. Search for Lester catalog # 12075. Probably don’t need a spare but I hate having expensive one off parts with no spare..
Hopefully the Ac Delco reman is descent quality

1 - 7 of 7 Posts