Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hanging around reading and learning for a while... washing what I got. Im running into a problem with the drivetrain and not sure what to do as I can't find info on the subject...

I have 280,000 on original transmission... e4od, and its been running and shifting perfect. I tried to back into a parking space the other day and it seemed like the truck was under a load.... it didnt want to go but did. I checked fluids and all normal. I put the gear selector in neutral and it moves forward a little... and a little more when I increase rpms. I got under the truck yesterday and could hear some rattling from the torque converter, pulled the shield off of it to visually inspect. Nothing appeared to be obviously broken, leaking or loose. I could rotate it by hand but with difficulty. It still shifts perfectly while driving but it has a hard time in reverse and is under load in neutral.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you determine that?

Re adjust it. Ya can't tell by looking at it.
Well I went out there and got underneath the truck while someone was moving the gear selector to different gears. I watched as the selector moved from one gear to the next, clicking solidly and remaining in place. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the area and everything looks like it normally does. I took the linkage off and moved the arm on the transmission through its full range of motion. It moved solidly and didn't feel loose or damaged. I looked at the linkage/cable from the steering column... doesn't appear to be adjustable. What do you mean adjust it?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
K. Try shutting it off in neutral next time it's lurching forward, then get underneeth and pop the linkage off. Then see if the lever clicks into a spot.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,089 Posts
That's not going to cause it to load up in neutral. No matter how far the linkage adjustment is off, it can't engage forward and reverse at the same time. That's what is causing it to load up in reverse, and move forward in neutral. My educated guess is that the forward clutch is damaged and won't fully release.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not going to cause it to load up in neutral. No matter how far the linkage adjustment is off, it can't engage forward and reverse at the same time. That's what is causing it to load up in reverse, and move forward in neutral. My educated guess is that the forward clutch is damaged and won't fully release.

Yep... the linkage is working perfectly. Do you think that it is in the transmission or the torque converter? When I drained the torque converter and turned the truck on, moved it through the gears it seemed to idle in neutral like it normally would for a few minutes. Then it started again. When the truck is off it will roll backwards in neutral just fine.

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
Yep... the linkage is working perfectly. Do you think that it is in the transmission or the torque converter? When I drained the torque converter and turned the truck on, moved it through the gears it seemed to idle in neutral like it normally would for a few minutes. Then it started again. When the truck is off it will roll backwards in neutral just fine.
i think what Mark was hinting at is that you are going to need the trans rebuilt in the very near future.

·
Native Californian
405 Posts
Time for a new E4OD......or a ZF swap>:):grin:

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,089 Posts
Do you think that it is in the transmission or the torque converter?
Read this post again.
The forward clutch is in the transmission, not the torque converter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think that it is in the transmission or the torque converter?
Read this post again.
The forward clutch is in the transmission, not the torque converter.
Right. I read it and understood what you were communicating. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed a drain plug in the the bottom of the transmission fluid pan after changing the fluid and filter. Drove it a hundred miles and pulled the plug. Reapeated 2 more times and it shifts perfectly. Been that way for nearly 5 thousand miles. Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts