Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 7.3 and all of a sudden it cranks but won’t fire, I checked the oil and it’s fine and the hpop was replaced about 2 years ago, any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
It could be alot of things. Bad or disconnected IPR, bad or disconnected CPS. IDM troubles. What else have you checked?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be alot of things. Bad or disconnected IPR, bad or disconnected CPS. IDM troubles. What else have you checked?
Cps is new and I’m leaning toward the IPR, Ive check the fuses and relays and HPOP censor by unplugging it and I’ve also checked the fuel pressure

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have smoke of any color coming out of the tailpipe while starting? What brand is the CPS? Why are you leaning towards the IPR? Do you have a scanner to troubleshoot with?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is motorcraft I also unplugged the icp and it still didn’t start unless What I’m seeing about testing it is false and it does not start when it’s unplugged so that’s why I was leaning towards the ipr and yes my wife said it was a white smoke when it was turning over, it ran perfect last weekend when I used it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If my weight to start light comes on and then goes out does that mean my glow plugs are working

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also should mention 2 weeks ago I towed my camper 300 miles round trip and it ran great then also

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well man, if you don't have an OBD2 scanner or any way to look at what is happening while you are cranking. Sure, I guess it could be the IPR but I doubt it. smoke says the injectors are firing, so the ICP is seeing the minimum pressure to fire the injectors and the IDM is firing them. You probably have low cylinder temps as the white smoke is unburned fuel. if you have a block heater, try plugging it in. Very well could be a glow plugs issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will a ob2 scanner work on a 95 and I’ll try plugging it in overnight to see if it’ll fire

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Generic scanners will not work on these Ford trucks. They need to be able to read Fords codes and 99% of them out there will not.

As was mentioned if you have the block heater plug in it for a couple of hours and then try it. You can also short the glow plug relay with a pair of pliers, jumper cables, or a screwdriver. Just be prepared for sparks with whatever you use. Jump the large terminals and leave it there for a count to 30 if you are using anything other than the jumper cables. If it starts and you are using cables you can then remove them. Other than that you need to test the relay using a digital volt ohm meter. There should be less than 0.3 volts difference between the two large lugs when the key is first turned on

·
Registered
475 Posts
Is there fuel in the filter bowl? You need to get FORScan an OBDLink EX and start looking at what the PCM is reading in from sensors (ICP, MAP, EOT) and commanding on the actuators (IPR) as well as any codes. As Bugman noted - cheap store OBD readers will not work to read codes or the PIDs from these PCMs.

Cj

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I have fuel in the bowl and I have fuel pressure I also turn the key on and pulled #22 fuse and you can hear the ipr click when I put the fuse back in is it possible the Ipc is bad and still won’t run when unplugged

·
Registered
475 Posts
A bad/dead/unplugged ICP should set a code. The PCM has a lookup table of ICP values (I believe they are based on engine RPM) to fault to if/when the ICP sensor ever dies. The truck should start and run if the ICP is unplugged and everything else is healthy. Does the RPM gauge bump up when you are cranking the truck? If not you need to look at the CPS. Is the reservoir at the front of the HPOP full? I really, really recommend getting FORScan and a dongle. Another member really likes his BAFX dongle that is bluetooth/wifi compatible (I believe he plugs the wifi into his phone). Whatever you do don't settle for a cheapo dongle. The data from the PIDs will help you/us better determine what is wrong without you buying and swapping out every sensor/actuator on the truck (which from reading other threads - doesn't always work). You can capture and save data in FORScan to look at later. Being able to look at the millisecond by millisecond data can help quickly nail down a problem. FORScan can also run a buzz test to verify the IDM.

Cj

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes my tack moves but stays steady, I’ve replaced the cps already though and will the forscan work on a 95 all I’m seeing is 96 and above

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I will say that it should work on your 95 if you truck has ever seen the dealer since it was purchased off of the lot.

For Forscan or any other OBD II reader to work it needed the OBD II port woke up in the PCM. Most dealers did this if the truck came into the repair shop for any needed work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I appreciate all the advice what all do I need to purchase with the forscan for it to be able to work on my laptop

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice catch Bugman.. I missed the 95 part.. FORScan.org has all the info you need. I run FORScan on my laptop with an older OBDlink SX usb dongle (I'm planning on getting the EX soon). You may need to download the Ftdi usb to serial driver from Ftdi to get it to work. The Only caution... make sure FORScan is connected to the PCM before driving (not that your driving anywhere yet) as it will hiccup the PCM as it connects. Otherwise just read through FORScans website. If you still have questions ask us here.

Cj

1 - 20 of 31 Posts