Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Bugman! I have been having a heck of a time. I'll check them out.

I suppose there is good in everything if you look hard enough. The 1st one took me 4 hours to install. The second one took 2 hours. If my math is correct should be able to do the 3rd one in an hour!

Registered
It's sad with the quality controll that manufactures are coming out with and the number of parts that are defective right out of the box.

But I have seen owners take a bad part and clean it up to take back to the parts store for a refund. The counter person just glances at it and put it back on the shelf to sell it to someone else. Amazon is nortoris for doing this.

A few years ago I went through 5 alternators before I got one that worked. This was on a car and not my trucj.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update:
Installed 3rd lift pump. Cranks. Tach moves. IHOP full. Gp good.5th cps. Unplugged icp. Bypassed fuel to run straight from 1 gallon tank above engine. Clear hose from fpr to 1 gallon tank. Fuel is moving. No air bubbles. NO START!

checked sharader valve got 3lbs pressure. Put electric 10 psi pump in ( no change).

With steady start fluid lots of gray smoke no start.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Something different. I put a better gauge on the Schrader valve & have 10 psi with the 10 psi electric pump running. It does not change much while cranking but now I'm getting white smoke out the tailpipe & no start or try. Batteries are good & turning over about 300 rpm.

Is it possible the fuel regulator is not allowing the pressure to build up in the rails?

Registered
You should have 20 psi while cranking to start.

However, white smoke out of the tailpipe is usually unburned fuel.

Can you plug in the block heater for a couple of hours and then try to start?

I think that you said that you cleaned the FPR, did you get it all back together correctly?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Don't have a block heater. It's 80 here most of the time. I think I got everything back right on the fpr. I did notice the white plastic piece that the screen is attached to is in two pieces but didn't look like it mattered as it was all there.

I just can't believe I would get 3 new lift pumps in a row. It's got to be something else.

Registered
With you getting white smoke out of the tailpipe tells me that you are getting fuel to the injectors. If you smell it it should smell like diesel.

I tried to find a diagram of a FPR but can't and I have never had mine apart so I'm not much help on it.

Are your glow plugs working by watching the volt gauge on the dash, in that it drops quite a bit and stays there when you turn the key on?

On the block heater, all of the OBS trucks came with the heater element but on the 95 the cord was a option. If you crawl under the truck and look directly above the oil filter and see a orange cord coming off of the attachment you have the heater cord. When new it is usually tied up on the drivers side of the engine but after 27 years who knows.

I'm still wondering about just having 10 psi when cranking on the FPR where 20 psi is minimum to start. Then once running it will be around 50 psi.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update:
I am fair certain my fuel pressure regulator (fpr) is not allowing the head rail fuel pressure to build up.

As you can see by the attached pics there appears to be nothing to "seat" the metal plunger of the regulator spring assembly. If you look into the back of the cast aluminum part of the fpr where the plunger goes it is metal to metal!

I have searched for DAYS trying to find anything showing the internal diagrams of the fpr with zero success. It's almost as if this is the part of the 1995 7.3 that no one knows anything about.

So then I searched for parts to it & again almost nothing available for a 1995 7.3. There is plenty for 99 on & the 6.0. I even tried the bb mod with no effect at all.

I have no junk yards anywhere near me or I could just get a cheap one to at least look at for comparison.

At this point kinda stuck again. Are there any 1995 7.3 fpr guru's out there or maybe someone that has a 1995 fpr they don't need?

Wood Household hardware Cylinder Gas Auto part
Wood Gas Auto part Metal Circle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Rim Drinkware

Registered
Have you considered an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? Edit - the fuel filter bowls and pressure regulators should be interchangeable up to the 97 year.

Cj

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I have looked into it. The electric conversion is way more than I can afford. The mod where you cut half of the fpr off and use it as the regulator I don't think will help me as the half that you keep seems to be where my problem is. That's the only two I've seen.

I agree up to 97 should work. I just don't have any close. I'm out in the sticks but not far from a mailbox.

If I had another fpr I could verify my problem with 2 bolts & a couple of hose clamps.

I am open to just about anything at this point.

Registered
As you have found out finding just the FPR is next to impossible.

How is the tension on the spring? If it feels weak you can replace it with a California kit that is available. It is a stiffer spring. I don't have the part number but it is listed in the part numbers thread on the forum here.

Other than that you can see if you can find a member who has gone to E fuel to see if they will sell it to you. Then there is always a new filter housing for around $400 or so, but I think that I would try the California spring first.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yep Bugman this is like a dark art nobody knows about.
The spring is good. Like I posted , I even tried the bb. No change. Tried 2 bb's & no change.

The thing that's not making any sense to me is there is no o ring or gasket. It's just metal on metal.
I haven't even found any aftermarket plunger kits for 95-97.

The only reason I haven't put a match to it is that I hope it might help someone else.

Registered
Check out this post

He was still here this last March you might try sending him a PM

Registered
I don't think that you need to do a complete e-fuel system You just need to determine how to bypass or hook up the aftermarket regulator in line with the current system.

Cj

21 - 40 of 42 Posts