Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 1994 f350 7.3 idi with a factory turbo and the e4od auto trans. He bought his truck about 50K ago from a local ford dealer and at time of purchase the dealer had installed a FORD RE-MAN trans. Well long story short his torque converter failed and when he took it to the trans shop they also discovered broken internals and quoted him $3,100 for a rebuild, he obviously doesn't wanna spend that kinda money on the truck.

So that leads me to my question, being a 94 factory turbo truck, what other year trucks can he used a transmission out of? I'm thinking any 92-94 idi truck but I want to make sure of this before we buy a used trans and make sure we get the right year range so its a direct swap.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,336 Posts
any e4od from an idi. if memory serves correct, the first year for e4od was 89.
he could also put a C6 in it, but would loose overdrive.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Or get a powerstroke E4od. Swap out solenoid packs so the IDI one is on the powerstroke transmission, and get a new torque converter. The closer to a 1997 transmission you get, the better they are.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I wasn't sure on that. I know where I can get a complete 92 f250 idi auto 4x4 truck for $600. Sounds like thats his best choice so far.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had another though, I just bought a 94 f350 460 powered parts truck, could we get a diesel torque converter and use his valve body on the e4od out of that truck?

·
Administrator
8,336 Posts
no. diesel trans will only bolt to diesel engine. gas trans is weaker and will not bolt to the diesel engine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had another though, I just bought a 94 f350 460 powered parts truck, could we get a diesel torque converter and use his valve body on the e4od out of that truck?
You'd have to drill out some of the bell housing holes. On an aluminum case transmission, that's kind of just asking for trouble unless you really, absolutely needed to have the truck back on the road. I don't think you'd have to use the diesel valve body, but the torque converter would have to be engine specific. But it's not like on a Chevy where every transmission bell housing is the same. Ford big blocks are different than small blocks, and diesels are their own animal as well.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'd have to drill out some of the bell housing holes. On an aluminum case transmission, that's kind of just asking for trouble unless you really, absolutely needed to have the truck back on the road. I don't think you'd have to use the diesel valve body, but the torque converter would have to be engine specific. But it's not like on a Chevy where every transmission bell housing is the same. Ford big blocks are different than small blocks, and diesels are their own animal as well.
ok thanks!! This is the kinda info I was looking to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw the post on E4od. I have a 1994 f250 4x4 I just bought the E4od is cracked on the housing between the tcase and trans. I have been told trans was out when I bought it. I found a 1990 trans out of a idi f350 4x4 So it will bolt right in and I’m read to roll?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me if the E40d out of an idi works on the 7.3 Powerstroke or what I would have to do to make it work

·
Administrator
8,336 Posts
trans itself will work fine. but you will have to use the IDI torque converter.
IDI uses 4 bolts between flex plate and converter, powerstroke uses 6 bolts.
we just did this swap three weeks ago, put a 93 idi trans into a 95 powerstroke.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts