Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have been looking to buy a 1988 F250 4x4 with 7.3 in it, the guy is telling me the truck will start but will not stay running, he thinks it is the mechanical fuel pump. I am worried it might be Injector pump. My question is will the engine start up and then quit if it is the Injector pump or is that a sure sign of the fuel pump going bad? fuel pumps are a lot less than Injector pumps and I don't want to spend a fortune to get this truck up and running.
I have never had a diesel and I know they can be expensive to repair but I have driven them and I love them, this could be a nice truck for me if it won't cost me a lot to fix.
So again would it start with a bad Injector pump or a bad Fuel pump? What are your thoughts and/or do you think it is a different issue all together?
I know cars and trucks, I work on Gas Engines all the time so I know what issues a gas engine can have that would make this problem. Not to good with diesel of fuel injection though, I am old school Carb guy.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It’s probably got an air intrusion problem. Take a look at the injectors and see if the plastic connectors that connect the return likes are wet looking . If air is getting into the fuel system then it will most certainly stall out .
Injection pump and injectors are relatively cheap for this engine . If the truck is in good shape it might be worth putting a set on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Thanks for the Information, When I go to see it run I will be sure to look for fuel leaks near the injectors, would be nice if it is something simple, I can get an injector seal kit or all new injectors at a reasonable cost. I really want this truck but don't want to spend thousands of dollars on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How hard is it to start or restart? with air getting in the system it should be pretty hard it start first thing. Don't know that I have ever had one stall from air getting in after been running for a while. If real hard to start then stalls and then restart , yes could be the case, Lost its prime, just like running one out of fuel. In rereading your post I would check the cap and fuel lines on the injectors first.

·
Registered
762 Posts
As all have said above:

Look and see if fuel lines are grey-if so, they are probably original or painted over, regardless, signs they are old and dry.

Viton-111 orings for injectors and new return kit is cheap. I used vaseline to roll on the o-rings. I think the top one goes on first. Then new caps and lines.

The lift pump is on passenger side at front of engine. The steel line from pump to filter head has "olives" in each end. These are present to prevent leak back. They are also something to replace when doing fuel maintenance/trouble-shooting.

Reactions: WolfBWolf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, going to try to go get the truck this week, the guy is just waiting to get it moved where I can come listen to it and then load it up to bring it home. You guys have been a big help and with the longevity of diesel engines and cost to fix not being to bad I think I am going to enjoy having this truck!

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
regular cab, or super cab?
auto trans, or 5 speed?
what is the overall condition?
how many miles on it?
what is his asking price?

even if it needs injector pump, injectors, and glow plugs, as said that will be less than $1000 to put in and then you will have a truck that will run for another 150,000 miles.
my 88 now has 495,000 miles on it and purrs like a swiss army knife.
all it needs is for me to put the new cab on it and it will be good for another 500,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well got a new update on truck, it is Not a 1988 7.3 it is a 1987 6.9
More Information: 1987 6.9 F250 regular cab 4X4 and it is beat up and it has dual stacks coming out the bed of the truck, I was told that can be a big issue because the 6.9 needs back pressure and with dual stacks on that engine it can burn up the Valves, most likely it has a lot of issues because it was treated rough. I really don't want to have to do a complete rebuild or even just have the heads worked on. Can anyone verify the back pressure and smoke stack issue on the 87 6.9? If the guy just put them on and the truck doesn't have mufflers for any back pressure can it damage Valves? I only have about $450 dollars to spend after I pay what the guy wants for the truck, if it is more than just fuel pump and injector seals I will just keep looking.
This truck is beat to heck and back, he said it was a farm truck but with stacks coming out the bed I just don't see it being a working truck on a farm unless he bought it as farm truck and started to modify it as a coal roller street truck.....
How many of you run Stacks on a work truck? What is the benefit of Stacks on a non turbo diesel 6.9?

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
needing back pressure to keep from burning valves is an old wives tale.
by removing the muffler you let the engine breath better, letting it run better.
but if it was road hard and put to bed wet every day, i would walk away from it.
another downfall to the 87 is no overdrive in the trans. this will limit it to around 55 mph, and 10 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK Thanks, I was wondering about that. Yes I think he drove the dog crap out of it and with the speed limit around here being 70 I think 55 would cause me issues with the Police, they don't look to kindly of people slowing down traffic, even the big rigs go 70+ around here. lol As for fuel millage that is another big deal, my current truck gets over 20mpg and it is a 4x4 and has big mud tires, I found the issue with it so not like I need this truck now. Guess I will wit and keep looking for a better one.
I hate to say it but might not even look for a diesel now, might just look for an older 50's to 70's truck to rebuild and have fun with.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
my 88 7.3 has 4.10 gears, C6 trans and 37 inch tires. it will do 78-80 mph, but that is also pinging the rev limiter.
it also takes quite a while to go from 65 to that 80 mark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 88 7.3 has 4.10 gears, C6 trans and 37 inch tires. it will do 78-80 mph, but that is also pinging the rev limiter.
it also takes quite a while to go from 65 to that 80 mark.
I have a 1988 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 truck. I just had the fly wheel and clutch replaced at a reputable mechanic shop. I just picked up the truck 2 weeks ago and had no issues with it until today when it suddenly lost almost all drive when I switch from 2nd to 3rd gear. I had completly let go of the clutch pedal and was flooring the "gas pedal" . The truck slowed from 25 down to almost nothing before it slowly speed up then suddenly egaged....I also had it happen from 1st to 2nd gear. The clutch pedal itself seems to have good play and prompt rebound with no delay but the throtle is delaying. Please help?

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
are you saying it will not rev?
that would either be a bad throttle cable, or not getting fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
are you saying it will not rev?
that would either be a bad throttle cable, or not getting fuel.
In neutral the car will rev.... but when I go to switch gears and disengage the clutch and press on the gas once the clutch is fully disengaged and I’m pressing on the gas there is a lag time in response sometimes 3 to 4 seconds before the car begins to accelerateg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.