Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first of all I am new to diesels. I bought a 1983 F250 6.9 IDI a couple months ago under the impression that all it needed was a injection pump, I decided to give it a try since it was such a good deal on the truck ($400). So I put an injection pump in it and timed it. Then it wouldn't start so I replaced the starter, batteries, battery cables and fuel filter. Now it turns over fine and it turns over fast enough that it should start up. Instead it just turns and turns. I give it a little shot of starting fluid and it chokes like it wants to start but it won't. I bleed the injectors. Still nothing... Any suggestions?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
is it getting fuel to the inj.'s? any smoke coming out the exhaust when cranking? temp were your at? have you had the truck plugged in? need more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it getting fuel to the inj.'s? any smoke coming out the exhaust when cranking? temp were your at? have you had the truck plugged in? need more info.
When I bled the injectors it was getting fuel to them. I havent checked for any exhaust smoke. I will have to check that one here in a little bit. Im in Indiana and it has been 40-50 degrees F. And yes I have had the block heater plugged in and its warm. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
and your sure you got the timing right? if its getting fuel to the injectors and its plugged in its gotta fire. did you remember the chain and gearset to drive the injection pump? im at a loss if its getting fuel and turning over fast enough to fire it should light.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Is the water separator that is near the brake booster on the fire wall still connected to the fuel system? They will leak and let the fuel system suck air, I have seen misdiagnosed injector pumps because of that. With a old truck I change all the o-rings on the suction side when I work on them, hard o-rings will leak and let it suck air.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
:whs: exactly what i was thinking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the water separator that is near the brake booster on the fire wall still connected to the fuel system? They will leak and let the fuel system suck air, I have seen misdiagnosed injector pumps because of that. With a old truck I change all the o-rings on the suction side when I work on them, hard o-rings will leak and let it suck air.
[/IMG]

is this where the water separator should be? if so then it doesnt exist.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I have been going through and double checking everything. I was told to put a gas soaked rag over the intake and try to start it, I did this and it fires but dies as soon as all the gas is out of the rag. And it runs very rough as if it were out of time. Now I just gotta find someone who can time it because I don't have the tools or the know-how to do it...

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
As long as you didn't take the gear housing and gear out, and the last person didn't either, all you need to do to get it at base timing is put the pump in straight up.

The gear and pump are keyed together, so you can't get that wrong.

You didn't mention anything about doing anything with the glowplug system, have you verified that it is working properly? My 83 6.9 wouldn't start on a warm day with the block heater plugged in when it had bad glowplugs.

This reminds me why I sold my 83, it kept burning gp's out even after I replaced the whole system, and it wouldn't start on a summer day without them. I took to carrying ether with me so I wouldn't be stranded! LOL

It was a good looking blue truck though, even for being 20 years old at that time!

Dave

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Oh and check to make sure the fuel shutoff soleniod is working properly, or it will never start because of that either.

Dave

·
Run fast & blow smoke
66 Posts
If the Inj pump was bad did you clean out the return fitting on top of the Inj Pump. When the pump goes out it will get pluged, just pull it out of the pump that the return line hooks up to and check for debris. Clean it with carb cleaner. Just my $0.02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts