• sump
  • upgraded fuel lines
  • afe stage II and accufab elbow
  • silverline dual exhaust
  • rebuilt transmission
  • 35x12.5x18 toyo mt
  • gogo egr deleted manifold
  • new long y pipe from IDP

Truck is an 06 4x4 stock suspension and I am only getting 14mpg on the highway running with SRL+

What is everyone else with a SIMILAR setup getting?

Thanks

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Is your gogo manifold just the egr deleted one or is it the stage 1 ported manifold that also has the egr deleted?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tires arent helping, but I would highly suggest you flashback you ecm and ficm and have your tunes rewritten and you'll gain some mpg back.
Got into this war before with other members - this is not my knowledge I am about to throw out but a very trustworthy and reputable builder. Reflashing does nothing for a truck once programmed with a custom tune. File writers re-write everything so what does it matter what the stock flash is if you aren't riding around on a stock file.

On that same note - other very reputable tuners still recommend it - so therefore I am torn on that whole deal.

·
1,549 Posts
Well file writer dont rewrite everything when they write you a tune. Otherwise if they did that then it wouldnt matter what strategy your truck started with and every custom tune would work on every truck. What you are talking about may be the case for generic canned tunes but not custom ones.

What happens instead is a tune writer modifys various parameters with the specific vehicle strategy and sometimes certain vehicle strategies suck at giving good fuel mileage or have to be tweaked further to net better fuel mileage. Whereas in earlier strategies, it isnt as much work for the tune writer to get you a tune that nets better fuel mileage.

IMO I would talk to Matt and see what he can do for you. But as already mentioned your tires will never help your mileage.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Yes if you're tuned the factory files are removed and the new tuning is flashed so it doesnt really matter if you flashback the ecm, BUT your FICM isnt flashed when you tune the truck, the sct doesnt have that ability. It does make a difference when you tune the ficm though. A bad ficm flash is where all your power/mileage loss comes from...

Hape you understand that better, my factory flash is a version of VXCF7... which means I have an inductive heating FICM killing strategy, but all of my tunes are VXCF4...But even then my FICM strategy is still one from the VXCF7 family (i cant remember off hand what the code number is) so I need to flashback and/or tune my ficm

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt and I are in contact. The guru of the 6.0 - Doug Gilbert who built my truck and I am also running his tunes is the one to tell me it was a waste of time to get the flash rolled back...each tuner has their different philosophies on this. Trying it wouldnt hurt anything I guess...

·
1,549 Posts
Oh my bad. I didnt realize that. Sorry if I had it all backwards. That is good to know man about the FICM. I will have to check my FICM strategy and see what it is and maybe get a roll back. Thanks so much for the clarification.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes if you're tuned the factory files are removed and the new tuning is flashed so it doesnt really matter if you flashback the ecm, BUT your FICM isnt flashed when you tune the truck, the sct doesnt have that ability. It does make a difference when you tune the ficm though. A bad ficm flash is where all your power/mileage loss comes from...

Hape you understand that better
that makes more sense...

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
For one, a custom tune has nothing to do with the FICM flash.

Secondly, the stock file does affect mileage, no matter if the custom tune is loaded. They build off of the stock strategy, so say you have stock files that still include pilot injection, when you load a tune into it, guess what you still have? You got it, you've still got the pilot injection. The tuners build off of the stock strategies, if the strategies didn't matter once a custom tune is loaded, why would they need your strategy in the first place? They build it off of your stock strategy.

·
1,549 Posts

Secondly, the stock file does affect mileage, no matter if the custom tune is loaded. They build off of the stock strategy, so say you have stock files that still include pilot injection, when you load a tune into it, guess what you still have? You got it, you've still got the pilot injection. The tuners build off of the stock strategies, if the strategies didn't matter once a custom tune is loaded, why would they need your strategy in the first place? They build it off of your stock strategy.
So is a roll back to an earlier strategy better, worse, or doesnt matter??

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts

Not true at all, I've been telling my tuners since the beginning that i have VXCF4, Im actually VXCF7 and the files still work no problems. The only way you would still have pilot injection is if the tunes were based off the pilot injection flash tables...

A lot of these tuners base all of their tunes off one strategy anyways

if youre staying stock flashback without a doubt.. if youre tuned and dont plan to go stock i would only flash the ficm...

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
So is a roll back to an earlier strategy better, worse, or doesnt matter??
Depends on the strategy, but in most cases, much better. I have talked to a few people at PHP, and they are rolling my '03 to the VXAM7XX strategy, and also programming my FICM with their hybrid flash. I will keep you guys updated.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Not true at all, I've been telling my tuners since the beginning that i have VXCF4, Im actually VXCF7 and the files still work no problems. The only way you would still have pilot injection is if the tunes were based off the pilot injection flash tables...

if youre staying stock flashback without a doubt.. if youre tuned and dont plan to go stock i would only flash the ficm...
Why would you tell them to write you a tune on the VXCF4 strategy if they rewrite everything in the custom tune? According to you, it wouldn't run any different than the VXCF7 strategy, right? Doesn't make much sense, you're contradicting yourself.

Because its false, there are certain parameters in the strategies that cannot be changed. Yes, you can sometimes load other tunes that don't match your strategy, but they still have to be in the same family. For instance, you couldn't run a VXAP2 tune in a truck flashed with VXCF4. Your truck wouldn't crank.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

agreed....now can we get back to the original question lol?

What mpg are others getting - thinking I will go back down to a 33 all terrain, get the performance and handling back...prob pick up some mpgs there...but I feel like there are guys running 38" MTs getting better mpg than me regardless.

·
1,549 Posts
Uh no. I would be willing to bet that there isnt anyone with 38s that get any better mileage than you do.

I know. I know. As soon as I post this some one will post they still get 20 mpg running 38in tall with 15in wide tires doing 70 mph and scraping the sky.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
99% of these guys dont have their speedometer's reprogrammed for the big tires.... These my buddy claims he gets 19mpg in a cummins with a 4 inch lift and 37's.... when he follows me he tells me to slow down when i have my cruise set for 65mph and his speedo is reading 75-80mph. The computer isnt making forrect calculations for how many revolutions the new tires make. with stock tires you may make 600 revolutions per mile where the big tires are really making 550 revolutions per mile... thats a lot more miles being recorded which is why these people think even hand calculated make these claims... :doh:

a friend of mine is running erics extreme race after flashing back the FICM, and ECM with vxcf4 is getting around 17-18mpg on the highway all stock tires etc

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am talking about hand calculated. I put in correction for tire size as well with my 14 mpg claim.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.