Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 7.3 I was looking at running synthetic in it and I noticed amsoil and schaeffer both recommend running 15/40 synthetic or should I run 5/40?.I was wondering what all of you guys recommend.I dont drive it alot in the cold if I do I plug it in.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I switched to Rotella 5-40 synthetic for the winter. IMHO...it made a huge difference in cold starts. It doesn't sound like it coming apart. My block heater is bad so I haven't plugged it in yet. (I have a new one, just haven't gotten to it yet) I live is southwest VA, it has only been to the 20's a few days here this year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have ran both in my 02'.. Starting in 08' i ran mystick for 2 oil changes, i liked it, and the price, truck liked it also.. Price hiked on the oil, and tractor supply was getting to where they didnt allways have it.. In 09' i went to amsoil and ran it till about early 11'.. I signed up with amsoil and was getting good quality oils [especially gear and transmission oils] for a pretty good price delivered to my door within 2 days of ordering.. The only issue i had was my truck didnt seem to like the oil.. During the hot months with a fully warmed engine, it seem to take a little longer to crank.. It really didnt make any sense to me, but i switched to shell 5/40 and havent looked back, truck is happy.. I'am running the new chevron syn in my 6.0, and other then leaking even more, it seems happy.. I may try it in my 02' this spring.. Sure as i do it will get as expensive as the shell syn..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been running delvac 15w-40 in my truck since the day I bought my truck and changing every 5k. When it's cold out, I see a little harder starting, so next oil change I'm going to mobil 1 or rotella synthetic 5w-40 and go longer change intervals.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies,I have been running mobil delvac 15/40 was just thinking about changing to synthetic.I only put about 3,000 miles year on the truck.I have owned since it was new and only have 49,000 on it now.Dont know if it would be worth it to change it or not .I change the oil once a year.Started running texaco ursa premium TDX in it when I first got it until about three years ago because I used to get it free where i worked.I changed jobs. And I cant find that oil anymore so I switched to mobil delvac.I just noticed they had two different weights of synthetic I thought I would see what everyone else is using.Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
as everybody stated above.. if you live in a cold environment 5w-40.. if not than run 15w-40... i run nothing but rotella, good oil at a good price (wallyworld)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone I guess the next oil change i will try the rotella synyhetic 5/40 and see if the truck likes it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts