Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im a student at a college and was needing a good truck that would get me back and forth to school with good mpg an still be able to use it on the farm and have a nice big truck. Everybody was telling me that the powerstrokes were the way to go geting around 19-23 MPG. Well i went out and bought me one. 1996 f.250 7.3l 5 speed 4x4 ex cab with 4:10 gears with no engin mods what so ever just wheels and tires. And wtf im getting 13 dang miles per gallon. If i would of known that id just kelp my 2003 5.4l!!! Can anyone tell me whats wrong with the truck and what i can do to get some better milage.

·
The Original
7,509 Posts
The 4x4 and 4:10's don't help highway speeds don't help and for sure the new low sulpher diesel doesn't help.

If you drive 55-60 with the 4:10s you could get 17 or so.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
check the air filter and take the whole intake tube off n check turbo for shaft play.i get anywhere from 16-23 mpg with the same truck turning 35" tires,i know as soon as the rpms get over 2000 it starts suckin the fuel fast so i would imagine if you have smaller tires and the 4:10 gears mileage would be worst.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i just replaced the tires from 36'' bais to 35'' ssr radials thinking that would help but it dident do anythang still geting the same as before and i stay under 2 grand when cruzing on the highway. thought id try a tunner and aftermarket intake and c if that would help any. but for stock i think that it should get better than that though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What kind of boost numbers are you getting ? Maybe you have a leak and your boost is low giving a low value to the MAP sensor... I gained 1 MPG when I replaced the MAP sensor.. CAT if you have one , could be plugged up ... Intake is also VERY important , and a new down pipe also helps alot

·
Registered
388 Posts
Also, just a thought, have you calibrated your speedo yet? If not, and its off that could part of the problem, as with larger than stock tires you are going faster and farther than the speedo and odometer will show if you have not re-calibrated it accordingly.

You can search on here and find several sets of instructions for doing so.

For reference, my truck in sig has 4.10s and with new downpipe and exhaust it did improve, but I still only get 15ish around town.

Justin

·
Loves OBS Trucks
1,065 Posts
I have 4.10s 35s and use 4x4 lot.... i can get 16-17 in town avg.

all depends on how you drive too... i dont get on the go pedal alot, but when i first got the truck, i did and i was getting 12-13 on good days....

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
First of all welcome to the board.

How fast are you driving? How are you calculating your mileage?

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
50 Posts
First of all welcome to the board.

How fast are you driving? How are you calculating your mileage?

Billy T.
[email protected]
Good questions.

That mileage isn't so bad I would think anything is automatically wrong. If it were all highway driving at 65 it would be low, but for a new truck and a college student (lots of idling and showing off) it's probably about right.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Your big tires are killing your MPG. I got 265s and get 20-23 on the highway. I would clean your air filter and maybe add an exhaust but with those tires I doubt you will get much better than that.

·
I helped make ur rimz....
619 Posts
do you have an auto tranny or a manual? that alone affects MPG alot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WELL I BOUGHT ONE WITH A 5 SPEED. AND IV TRIED CLOCKING THE MILEAGE BOTH BABYING IT AND GETING ON I AND STILL AROUND 13 NO MORE THAT 13.5 AND LESS THAN 12. I HAVENT SWAPED THE MAP YET BUT IM GOING TO BEFOR LONG THO. I DID PUT A CPS ON IT THE OTHER DAY AND A 3.5'' DOWNPIPE.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O AND ALSO STRIGHT PIPE ALL THE WAY BACK! AND THE WAY I CHECK THE MAILAGE IS FILL UP AND RESET THE SPEDO THEN WHEN I FILL BACK UP I DIVID THE MILES IV WENT SINCE THE LAST FILL INTO HOW MANY GALLONS IT TOOK TO FILL UP THIS TIME. AND NO THE SPEEDO AINT RIGHT AINT REALLY THOUGHT OF THAT:doh:. WOULD THAT MAKE IT WORSE OR BETTER MAILAGE WHEN I CALCULATE IT UP?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
With the bigger tires you are actually putting on more miles than the odometer is showing. your stock tires were 31.8" and a 35/12.5/16 SSR is 35.3".

35.3 divided by 31.8 = 1.11 Mutiply what ever miles your odo says by 1.11 and that is the true miles

so 400 x 1.11+ 444

For what it is worth my 97 F350 reg cab 4:10 5sp w 315 tires i could just squeak out 19MPG on an ALL highway trip. bout 14-15 round town

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Well im a student at a college and was needing a good truck that would get me back and forth to school with good mpg an still be able to use it on the farm and have a nice big truck. Everybody was telling me that the powerstrokes were the way to go geting around 19-23 MPG. Well i went out and bought me one. 1996 f.250 7.3l 5 speed 4x4 ex cab with 4:10 gears with no engin mods what so ever just wheels and tires. And wtf im getting 13 dang miles per gallon. If i would of known that id just kelp my 2003 5.4l!!! Can anyone tell me whats wrong with the truck and what i can do to get some better milage.
WELL I BOUGHT ONE WITH A 5 SPEED. AND IV TRIED CLOCKING THE MILEAGE BOTH BABYING IT AND GETING ON I AND STILL AROUND 13 NO MORE THAT 13.5 AND LESS THAN 12. I HAVENT SWAPED THE MAP YET BUT IM GOING TO BEFOR LONG THO. I DID PUT A CPS ON IT THE OTHER DAY AND A 3.5'' DOWNPIPE.
O AND ALSO STRIGHT PIPE ALL THE WAY BACK! AND THE WAY I CHECK THE MAILAGE IS FILL UP AND RESET THE SPEDO THEN WHEN I FILL BACK UP I DIVID THE MILES IV WENT SINCE THE LAST FILL INTO HOW MANY GALLONS IT TOOK TO FILL UP THIS TIME. AND NO THE SPEEDO AINT RIGHT AINT REALLY THOUGHT OF THAT:doh:. WOULD THAT MAKE IT WORSE OR BETTER MAILAGE WHEN I CALCULATE IT UP?
What happened between the first and 2nd/3rd posts on this thread????? After the 2nd and 3rd post, you need to go back to grammar school or sober up before posting. Take the CAPS lock off.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well SORRY! Didn't know that we had to be so correct on are grammar on here. Last i checked you could read it and thats all i was lookin for. What are you an english teacher of somthing of that nature. Didn't know MPG concerns had anything to do with schoolin! Now do you have any advice for the bad mailage, leave your comments to yourself bud. Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well SORRY! Didn't know that we had to be so correct on are grammar on here. Last i checked you could read it and thats all i was lookin for. What are you an english teacher of somthing of that nature. Didn't know MPG concerns had anything to do with schoolin! Now do you have any advice for the bad mailage, leave your comments to yourself bud. Thanks

Are you serious?

You make a post looking for help, and people to use their time to help you free of charge. You don't answer most of the questions, then get back on with these irritating ramblings that give people a headache to read, then get upset when somebody says something!!!!

Do you want help or not?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts