Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I got myself in a bit of a jam.

My neighbor goes to Florida every winter and leaves me to plow/salt his driveway in case of emergency(bastard hill)

He bought me a salt spreader made by a welding shop for my Ranger. It is a little thing. Holds about 200lbs of salt.

The guy who makes them uses a 12 Dayton electric motor on them. the problem is it is a 2350rpm motor. I want to slow it dow to keep the salt ON the driveway instead off off in the woods.

I am looking for something to carry the speed. I thought I had it figured out, I bout a used controller off ebay for a salt spreader but that ended up being no good. New ones are 300+. I really can't justify spending that kind of $$ to do his and my driveway

Is there anything I can get my hands on to vary the speed? I went to radio shack and they were no help

PLEASE HELP ASAP

Motor specifics
12v PM DC
HP: 1/35
RPM 2350
F.L. 3.70 amps

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
Sounds like it should work. The Pulse Width Modulation control keeps the motor from overheating that just reducing voltage would do (It will draw excessive current). And the current/voltage ratings seem in the ballpark.
For $6 its sounds good, just mount it in the cab and in area with air circulation so the unit is not exposed to the elements. Also isolate the electronic board from truck ground, just make electrical connections to the terminals only.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
What about making the hole that the salt drops thru smaller ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up finding a used Western/Fisher control unit for $125 on Ebay/ I wired it up last night.

I would like to some how have the hole where salt falls thru and an automatic slide. This one you have to get out an open it, then close it. I wonder if I could wire a fuel shut off solenoid to it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts