Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 f350 crew cab long bed. Built e4od. 3.5" straight thru exhaust. Tymar intake. Tony Wildman tunes. 4.10 rear end. New 315/75/16 AT tires. I dont drive it very hard and I average 12 MPG and thats mostly highway. I cruise at 2200 rpm. When I pull my 6500 lbs trailer I get 8 MPG. Any ideas on what to check? It seems llike most guys are getting 15 -16. I would love that. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil changed about 8 months ago and used a motorcraft filter. I dont think the up pipes are leaking. Tires are aired to 44psi. Also forgot to mention i have a 3" downpipe. I havent checked the brakes.

·
What Fire?
32 Posts
Have you changed out the injectors?

·
1,084 Posts
Nope. I drive 60 and 70 MPH.

You have a low-MPG configuration.

The automatic is killing you. The 4x4 costs you 2-3 MPG. The CC is heavy.

The big wheels are kickin' your butt.

You didn't mention a tonneau, so I assume your are running open bed.

Wildman tunes may improve your acceleration, but in that draggy configuration that just means a faster fuel burn rate.

If you can't change the configuration, your choice is stark: Slow down or eat the poor fuel economy.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
oil changed about 8 months ago and used a motorcraft filter. I dont think the up pipes are leaking. Tires are aired to 44psi. Also forgot to mention i have a 3" downpipe. I havent checked the brakes.
8 months ago = how many miles? also is your firewall covered in soot?

44psi is a little low, I would sir them up to atleast 50psi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No soot on the firewall. I have only put on 800 miles since the oil change. The truck usually only gets about 1200 miles a year on it.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
4:10 are a factor. Once you go over 2000 rpm mileage starts to go down at a good rate along with trying to take these bricks over 65-70 mph.

Possibly a very lightly dragging brake.

On the TW tunes if you are not try driving using a very super light foot but especially on take offs and acceleration. Try driving when not towing in the hottest tune just keep an eye on egt temps. Most people with Tony's tunes usually find the best mpg in the hottest tune using a very light foot.

Tire air pressure is low for best mpg as well. Not sure what the rec are for your tires but look them up from the tire manf and air them to those pressures will get you close.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
4:10 are a factor. Once you go over 2000 rpm mileage starts to go down at a good rate along with trying to take these bricks over 65-70 mph.

Possibly a very lightly dragging brake.

On the TW tunes if you are not try driving using a very super light foot but especially on take offs and acceleration. Try driving when not towing in the hottest tune just keep an eye on egt temps. Most people with Tony's tunes usually find the best mpg in the hottest tune using a very light foot.

Tire air pressure is low for best mpg as well. Not sure what the rec are for your tires but look them up from the tire manf and air them to those pressures will get you close.
I have. Then again I dont drive it much in any other setting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It has stock injectors with 140k. Does everyone else just drive their trucks between 55 mph and 60 mph?
Goin down the interstate i do about 57 which is 2grand in my truck

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I can run 2500 rpms and pull 15 mpg with the stock 3.5 exhaust. Now since I have put a stack on I have freed some back presure up and now getting a little more boost then before cruising so I am sure my mpg has went down.

Anythoughts of maybe a weak fuel pump or HPOP causeing the problem?

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
I have a 96 f350 crew cab long bed. Built e4od. 3.5" straight thru exhaust. Tymar intake. Tony Wildman tunes. 4.10 rear end. New 315/75/16 AT tires. I dont drive it very hard and I average 12 MPG and thats mostly highway. I cruise at 2200 rpm. When I pull my 6500 lbs trailer I get 8 MPG. Any ideas on what to check? It seems llike most guys are getting 15 -16. I would love that. Thanks
Hmm. Something surely isn't right.. I get 15mpg with a similar setup.

Crew Cab
3" DP with 4" muffler into a 5" tailpipe. Tymar intake.
Swamps tunes, 250 hybrids, qssb turbo
4.10 rear, 35x12.5R17 BFG KM2's.

So far I'm getting low-mid 15's for mileage this summer, after recalculating for my tire size. I drive it easily. My mileage actually went up about 1mpg last year after switching to 35's from 33's. I could go the same speed with less RPM's.

You're sure you don't have any fuel leaks or anything right? Any boost leaks? Does your truck haze much with just regular driving?

My mileage still isn't where it was last year. I could get 17-17.5mpg with my 35's. I believe I fixed a leaky up-pipe, got a BTS, and new tuning in, and am wishing I could hit 16mpg. I'm sort of wondering if I don't have a boost leak.

·
RubberDuck
49 Posts
I have a similar setup to but i don't have a chip though but I to am also only getting 12 mpg but i have a huge fuel leak in the valley just got all new orings to rebuild the fuel bowl and hoses to fuel pump. Probably going to replace pump also. I was getting 15-16 if a drove with a feather foot before this leak developed.

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
I get 8mpg not towing. It sucks. I have 4.10s with stock obs tires (235/85/16s). I dont tow much so I am thinking about changing out the 4.10s for 3.55s. I plan on getting 33s soon so I hope that helps. What would be better for mpg? 4.10s with 33s or 3.55s with 33s?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I get 14 towing a 14ft dump trailer and 17-19 without a trailer. My "empty" consists of about a 1k of tool and a canopy. I've got 4.10's also with 235-85-16's. Need some bigger tires ; )

·
Senior Veteran Member
937 Posts
When I towed daily, I would see 13 mpg and truck would run all day long as a landscape truck, a little better without trailer, then changed injectors and tunes from Matt and I can get 20 on highway with 4.10's. I think some of yours is injectors and other is tunes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts