Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone could help ease my mind a little here? I have a 06 6.0 with 83,000 on it and when I start it, more so in the morning I get a little blue smoke. Also the exhaust constantly smells like burnt diesel. Knock on wood, the truck still runs good! Any Ideas????

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
well exhaust smelling like burnt diesel is good, I sure as hope it wouldnt smell like a gasser... LOL

What are the temps where your at right now???

Wait til shes cold, overnight. Cycle the plugs, fire her up, let her idle for 10-15 seconds. than take her to WOT... watch the tach it should go STRAIGHT to redline, if it hesitates usually around the 2300 rpm area, and smokes a ton while doing this, its most likely injectors.... but make sure its not just the EGR cooler.

You said blue, and thats usually unburnt fuel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been upper 30's lower 40's here in lower Michigan.

I had the FICM, EGR cooler, EGR Valve and HPOP replaced about 10,000 miles. The exhaust just has an awful smell all the time. The last cold morning when we had frost I started it and it was a white smoke, kinda scared me a little because thats what it did when I had all the problems last time. But as I took offf it cleared and hasnt done it since. Just once in awhile I notice hte blue smoke.

Just read about the programming of the FICM, something about the new program uses the injector spoolvalve to preheat the oil at the injectors.???
Thought when they replaced my FICM it would have had the new program.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If it is blue it could be the oil. Do you "ONLY" get the smoke at the first start of the day when it is cold?

You dont need to change the programing of the FICM.

How does the engine start when it is cold? Does it have a rough idle after the initial start?

Is your truck stock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed the oil Sunday. The truck fires right up and idles smoothly. I dont notice it missing or running rough at all. And yes the smoke is just at start up.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
if it was there for that work, I sure they would hae scanned it for codes and wouldve let you know id any glowplugs were giving you issues, so I dont think they are an issue...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts