Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
jpowers
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil works best for a 01' 7.3 powerstroke with 250,000 miles. I'm new to diesels and just wanting some insight.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
That's a loaded question. Rotella is a good oil that a lot use. Others are Valvoline Premium Blue which I use, Motorcraft, and a few others in the 15w/40 viscosity. Now for synthetics a lot like Valvoline Blue Extreme and Rotella's synthetic.

The big thing in picking a oil is to make sure that it is a diesel rated oil.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
What oil works best for a 01' 7.3 powerstroke with 250,000 miles. I'm new to diesels and just wanting some insight.
Clean oil, the cleaner the better.

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
Happy with Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 here.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
jpowers: What viscosity are you going to go with? 15W-40/5W-40/10W-30?

15W-40--> Delvac-Delo-Rotella
5W-40---> T6 Rotella-M1 TDT-Valvoline Extreme Blue-Schaeffers
10W-30--> T5 Rotella

There are many more to chose from these are popular brands...

Main thing is as stated above is Fresh Clean oil... Don't push it to much past 5K miles between oil changes... Keep that Fuel Filter changed between the 10K-15K mile mark...
Keep that Air Filter Clean... Turbos are very expensive...

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Clean oil, the cleaner the better.
^^^ agree, your 7.3 doesn't care about what name is on the bottle. All the major brands (Delo, Delvac, Rotella, Premium Blue etc) do a great job and while the additive packages might be a little different manufacturer to manufacturer they all seem to work well. If it gets much below 10-20*F where you live a diesel rated (CI or CJ-4) 10w-30 or 5w-40 will help with cold starts but not completely necessary.

Personally, in the winter I run a 10w-30 and in the summer I run whatever name brand 15w-40 I can get one sale.

·
jpowers
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the insight I'm glad I have joined the nation. Hopefully people will be this helpful when other problems arise. Just remember cummins is the mess stroking leaves behind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts