Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an early 99 f-350 crew cab and it has a miss and is hard starting . The engine has 345000 on it and uses very little oil and has very little blowby. It had a CCT performed and 1 and 8 showed up as weak. The shop suggested that it was probably low compression, but if that was the case wouldn't there be excessive blowby? It seems like to me its running out of fuel, but I did a fuel pressure test and it never went below 58# . The problem started when the last cold snap happened (-18 below) and against my better judgement I had to put howes treatment in ( I couldn't get any 1 in. so i had no choice). About 50 miles after i dumped the howes in it started. acting up like it was gelling so i stopped and put #1 in and changed filter...it helped but the miss remainef. The shop quoted me $2400 for a compression test and 2 injectors. That's not going to happen. I have a compression tester ordered and should be here monday. It has massive white smoke. and smokes more than it should after warm up. Power is weak but not terrible. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
had it sat for a long time before you purchased it? perhaps some old bad fuel? My previous truck ran out and we siphoned some fuel out of a tractor that was old and it ran but smoked like hell, missed and just ran crappy. I even got pulled over from what was coming out of the exhaust pipe....the cop laughed and told me where the nearest station for some good fuel was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No . I know the pickup well. I bought it from a family member and business partner and have drove it a bunch in the last two years. It was driven daily on our farm up till now. I had to drive it with the miss for a week to finish up harvest. I put about 1000 miles on it since the first episode happened. It doesn't get any better or worse. I know how that feels to be pulled over for smoke...kind of funny ( I used to have an 86 6.9 with an early ATS turbo with the pump cranked to the max, until that turbo spooled up it looked like a forest fire behind me). I loved that rig but it drew unwanted attention when i lived in Las Vegas in the early 90s.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
No . I know the pickup well. I bought it from a family member and business partner and have drove it a bunch in the last two years. It was driven daily on our farm up till now. I had to drive it with the miss for a week to finish up harvest. I put about 1000 miles on it since the first episode happened. It doesn't get any better or worse. I know how that feels to be pulled over for smoke...kind of funny ( I used to have an 86 6.9 with an early ATS turbo with the pump cranked to the max, until that turbo spooled up it looked like a forest fire behind me). I loved that rig but it drew unwanted attention when i lived in Las Vegas in the early 90s.
mine was an 86 also....I guess I should feel lucky he didn't write me up for dyed fuel...it was a gutless wonder but got mileage right up there with those cummins.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back in 91 my ATS turboed 6.9 would eat first gen stock cummins for breakfast...but you had to stare at the pyrometer any time you gave her the juice. I had another 6.9 that wasn't turboed and it was gutless. I put 4 clutches in that turbo in 3 years...the close ratio T 19 with 3.08 was a fun combo but chewed up clutches if you romped on her under a full load up mountain passes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always got 14-17 mpg with that rig loaded or empty. I don't even think of putting dyed in. ..its just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i understand...in an emergency situation. They are just so nazi about that anymore. thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how many miles on injectors...previous owner bought it at 265000. They did the buzz test and everything checked out okay. There wass a speed sensor code but that was all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm fairly cerain its the original injectors. The engine has always been noisy...but has a little more rattle than it did before.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Do keep in mind on the 7.3's, the cps will sometimes throw a random #3 or #8 contribution code, even though the injectors will be fine. As for the #1, I would at least replace it. But at that mileage, its probably time for all 8 injectors to be replaced. I would be checking fuel pressure too, along with a compression test like you already planned on doing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip. I already tested fuel pressure. never dropped below 58 lbs. I've read that low fuel pressure will cause 1 and 8 to show up on CCT because they are last to get fuel in the rail. I tested at the back of the fuel bowl on the intake side. I was just sure that it was a delamination issue but no such luck. I've been pretty sceptical on taking it to a shop because most shops want to start throwing expensive parts at it. I'm hoping to be able to find a used injector if the compression checks out.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Injectors are one item I would never install a "used" one in a truck. You have no idea if that injector had lots of water through it, if the oil was changed often enough, or if it had proper fuel pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rebuilt and even new injectors scare me. I had a rebuilt crate motor put in the semi (detroit) and it came with new injectors....BIG mistake! 2 Injectors failed with less than 10k on the engine and dumped 10 gallons of fuel in crankcase in less than 10 minutes. I really don't trust rebuilders or even new after that experience. Dnetroit has a much more reliable electronic system forshutdown than the powerstroke from what I can tell. From what I've been told, detroit as changed their policy andd no longer recomends changin injectors unless their is a known faulty one. I don't want to get too much money into this unless I know its going to fix the miss. If it is a compression issue I'm not sure if i will keep the powerstroke in it. I will eitber go with a cummins or put an IDI iin it. I don't much care for their electronics and injection system . I know the old 6.9s and 7.3s very well and are very simple to work on. I don't want to jave a bunch of new injectors going to the scrap pile.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
If you buy injectors from a reputable company, you wont have problems, and if you do, they have a warranty. The 7.3's really dont have a lot of electrical issues, and are about as reliable as it gets for an electronic diesel. An idm here and there, a pcm every few hundred thousand miles, and a cps every so often. It sounds to me like you got shafted on your detroit, either on the injectors or then engine rebuild...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It too bad that someone doesn't build an aftermarket head intake and injection drivetrain so a guy could convert it to a mechanical system. The 7.3 block is strong and if you could have direct injection with a mechanical pump, a guy could have a monster that would come very close to the potential of the cummins. As far as Detroit's injectors....they were factory Reliabilt and have heard many others that have had the same thing. But if y you get a good one tehey will last over a million miles without replacenment....if you get a bad one they won't last at all. most guys i know of won't put inectors in when they do an overhaul. they wait for them to go bad. Detroit warranteed the injectors, but it bothered me that that much diesel got in the crankcase in an engine that wasn't broke in yet.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
It too bad that someone doesn't build an aftermarket head intake and injection drivetrain so a guy could convert it to a mechanical system. The 7.3 block is strong and if you could have direct injection with a mechanical pump, a guy could have a monster that would come very close to the potential of the cummins. As far as Detroit's injectors....they were factory Reliabilt and have heard many others that have had the same thing. But if y you get a good one tehey will last over a million miles without replacenment....if you get a bad one they won't last at all. most guys i know of won't put inectors in when they do an overhaul. they wait for them to go bad. Detroit warranteed the injectors, but it bothered me that that much diesel got in the crankcase in an engine that wasn't broke in yet.
They do make a full mechanical conversion. Its like 17 grand. And yeah all that diesel isnt good for your bearings

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I doubt i would ever stick that kind of money into it even if i had 17 grand extra laying around....it would be fun though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts