Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im driving from colorado to kentucky next month any suggestions on some maintance before i head out on the road? my truck bed will be weighed down alil becuase where moving. im also taking the stacks out temperaly for the trip just thinking of putting a turn down on it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have a spare cps in the truck. And check all your fluids, air pressure in the tires etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a spare cps in the truck. And check all your fluids, air pressure in the tires etc.
sounds good i will check the tires it says 55psi max, should i max them? i normaly just keep 45psi in them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yea i wouldnt ever run the max air psi. 45-50 at the most especially if your gonna have a load on the rear end. Also make sure you dont stop at any rinky dink fill up stations... try to stop somewhere that would turn alot of diesel.. that way you wont get any bad fuel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm making a similar trip from GA to CO this summer except I'll be towing my wife's Buick Rainier (SUV) I'm looking forward to it since it'll be the first trip of that distance I've put on the rig and the first time I've towed anything with that much weight with this truck. I'm thinking of using a car dolly from U-haul, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Also make sure you dont stop at any rinky dink fill up stations... try to stop somewhere that would turn alot of diesel.. that way you wont get any bad fuel.[/QUOTE]

good advice i am allways woried about that especially moving to a new place i allways try to find some truck stop close if i can.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'm making a similar trip from GA to CO this summer except I'll be towing my wife's Buick Rainier (SUV) I'm looking forward to it since it'll be the first trip of that distance I've put on the rig and the first time I've towed anything with that much weight with this truck. I'm thinking of using a car dolly from U-haul, any other suggestions?
I would try and get a trailer to put the whole car on instead of a dolly! Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would try and get a trailer to put the whole car on instead of a dolly! Just a suggestion.
Yeah, that's what I'll do. I just went to the u-haul website and seen they had trailers! Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My list before i head out

Change oil and filter- rotella 15w-40 with motorcraft filter.
Change Front and Rear Diff Fluid and transfer case the trani was allready done.
Air up tires to 45psi

im also pulling my inclosed trailer there and back now for more room to put stuff. its a small one 6x10 single axel im going to get a spare for it before i go too.

·
Davey B
930 Posts
I spent my winter out in colorado. For the trip i disconnected my stack and put a turn down on so i wouldnt have to listen to it for 15hrs. I made it out there fine but on the way back my drivers side front unit bearing went out with no warning. It really sucks being stranded 400mi from home and no way to get around to get the parts you need.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah i know what you mean the same thing happen to me with the wheel bearings. i want to take the stacks out for that to im just wanting somthing else now im thinking of just putting a tip pointing down in front of the rear axel for now

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
...Also make sure you dont stop at any rinky dink fill up stations... try to stop somewhere that would turn alot of diesel.. that way you wont get any bad fuel.
good advice i am allways woried about that especially moving to a new place i allways try to find some truck stop close if i can.
I would leave Colorado (Denver) around ~7-9PM. You will cross most of Kansas in the dark - the best way. If you are able to drive straight through, you will miss the worst traffic in the big cities along the way. You won't have to worry too much about small stations - there aren't many along I-70 until you hit Illinois. If you need fuel, fill up in St. Louis before you hit Illinois (cost). Then try to make it into Kentucky (Henderson)- fuel will be ~$0.20 cheaper than in Illinois or Indiana.

When you hit Kansas City - don't take the bypass just stay on I-70. As long as you aren't going through during rush hour, it is the fastest. When you hit St. Louis, you need to take the US 40/I-64 at Wentzville.

I would take spare filters, gallon of oil, funnel, CPS, work gloves, and ratchet set. Maintanence - just standard oil change, tranny fluid, fluid check (coolant and wiper), etc. Brake check... There are plenty of places if you need something - once you get out of Kansas.

I have made the trip from Denver to Evansville ~75 times (round trip)...

Sam

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would leave Colorado (Denver) around ~7-9PM. You will cross most of Kansas in the dark - the best way. If you are able to drive straight through, you will miss the worst traffic in the big cities along the way. You won't have to worry too much about small stations - there aren't many along I-70 until you hit Illinois. If you need fuel, fill up in St. Louis before you hit Illinois (cost). Then try to make it into Kentucky (Henderson)- fuel will be ~$0.20 cheaper than in Illinois or Indiana.

When you hit Kansas City - don't take the bypass just stay on I-70. As long as you aren't going through during rush hour, it is the fastest. When you hit St. Louis, you need to take the US 40/I-64 at Wentzville.

I would take spare filters, gallon of oil, funnel, CPS, work gloves, and ratchet set. Maintanence - just standard oil change, tranny fluid, fluid check (coolant and wiper), etc. Brake check... There are plenty of places if you need something - once you get out of Kansas.

I have made the trip from Denver to Evansville ~75 times (round trip)...

Sam

Thanks for the help i will definiatly take it i was also wondering when i should leave was thinking in the morning but your right about the traffic i will leave the night before, im hoping i only need maybe two stops for fill ups but will see im pulling my little trailer now. i will definatly stop in the places you said for fuel if i can. i was also curious if i should stay on i-70 the whole way untill i got to i-64 which im not to fare off that highway when i get into louisville, i-64 is the highway that goes to frankfort/versailles i beleave??

·
Registered
346 Posts
man i made almost that same trip just the opposite way a couple months ago, i went from the east side of columbus ohio to colorado springs when i got stationed in fort carson, that drive sucks especially when you do it in one day lol, kansas is boring as hell out there on 70 lol, good luck bro!

·
Registered
115 Posts
man i made almost that same trip just the opposite way a couple months ago, i went from the east side of columbus ohio to colorado springs when i got stationed in fort carson, that drive sucks especially when you do it in one day lol, kansas is boring as hell out there on 70 lol, good luck bro!
What unit are you in? I'm going to 4th BDE in August. Making the drive there from Ft Benning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts