Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping online for a 6.4. I found an 08 1 ton Lariat I am really interested in but in the pics I saw is has a floor shifter for the T-case. What I can see of the hubs look like the same hubs you get with the electric T-case. Does anyone have this? Can you select the hubs to auto and shift in and out with the stick jsut like turning the dial or do you have to select lock or free on the hubs manually?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Floor shifter will engage or disengage transfer case from the front drive shaft.
Manual Hub switch will lock or free the hubs.

If you want 4x4 you need the hubs locked and the lever pulled into 4H or 4L.
If you don't need 4X4 just slide the lever to 2H.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 97 Has auto hubs and a floor shifter, it works just like auto hubs and a electric dial shifter. To put it in 4h, you just pop the shifter back, or turn the dial. 4L can still be done from the cab, but i usually stop and put it in neutral.

I believe the 08+ have auto/manual hubs, meaning they have an auto mode, which allows you to switch back and forth from 2wd to 4h or 4L in the cab, but if it malfunctions you can get out and manually lock the hubs in.

·
Nose picker
426 Posts
With a lever on the floor you'll have to get out and manually turn the hubs to lock. There is no "auto locking" hub feature with the manual t-case on superdutys. The electric t-cases have the "auto locking" hubs. The auto locks have more failure spots than the manuals.

·
PSD Noob
19 Posts
With a lever on the floor you'll have to get out and manually turn the hubs to lock. There is no "auto locking" hub feature with the manual t-case on superdutys. The electric t-cases have the "auto locking" hubs. The auto locks have more failure spots than the manuals.
Ditto...my 08 has manual hubs (either free or locked) with floor shifter.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
250 Posts
One thing left out here is the ability to put the truck in 4 low and leave the hubs unlocked basically giving you 2 low. Really nice when you need to back up something really heavy uphill.

That and it ALWAYS works. Simple, no vacuum pump, vacuum lines, electric motor to worry about going bad over time.

I also abuse my truck much less with the manual t case. When you have to get out to lock the hubs, it gives you an extra minute to think before you do something stupid :doh:

·
bigmick
112 Posts
:whs: My first super duty had the autos and after but 50,000 miles of mud and snow I was replacing vacuum lines and the hub seals, no easy task! made sure my next one had the manual hubs.

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
dookie
you likely have Auto hubs with the manual option like all of our (ESOF) Electronic Shift On the Fly systems have unless someone changed them ?

here is what they should look like

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Doesn't anyone read thier owners manual anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts