Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '08 with an intermittant engine power/surge issue. The truck is a CC SB auto with the 6.4. It's been to the Ford at least 3 times for the same problem but the truck doesn't throw any codes for the mechanic to troubleshoot with. Basically the truck runs pretty good but on a frequent occasion is starts to surge and lose power. As an example, you may be at 65mph when it does this and you maintain speed but have no extra power and can't accelerate. The truck surges when you put the pedal down. From time to time when I start the truck to leave the house or a store or something the truck will stall and die but start back up and run tip top. Anybody have this issue or something similar that I can bring to the mechanic. Camping season is just about to start up here in AK and I use this truck normally to pull my 5th wheel. I'd like to have it ready for the season.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've got an '08 with an intermittant engine power/surge issue. The truck is a CC SB auto with the 6.4. It's been to the Ford at least 3 times for the same problem but the truck doesn't throw any codes for the mechanic to troubleshoot with. Basically the truck runs pretty good but on a frequent occasion is starts to surge and lose power. As an example, you may be at 65mph when it does this and you maintain speed but have no extra power and can't accelerate. The truck surges when you put the pedal down. From time to time when I start the truck to leave the house or a store or something the truck will stall and die but start back up and run tip top. Anybody have this issue or something similar that I can bring to the mechanic. Camping season is just about to start up here in AK and I use this truck normally to pull my 5th wheel. I'd like to have it ready for the season.

Thanks,

Chris
is it tuned or piped or anything? and does it smoke or anything when it starts surging and does the boost gauge drop and move around alot?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bone stock. The boost gauge goes from 10# to 20# with the surging. It'll die from time to time at idle as well.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Bone stock. The boost gauge goes from 10# to 20# with the surging. It'll die from time to time at idle as well.
hmm. weird. it has to be a fuel problem i dont really know where to look. no codes from the scanner?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes at all. The mechanic installed a data logger and sent it home with us. It has a few "events" logged now. Hopefully it'll be useful information for them to work with.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No codes at all. The mechanic installed a data logger and sent it home with us. It has a few "events" logged now. Hopefully it'll be useful information for them to work with.
i dont really know ill give you a bump though. i would say a sensor but that would probably throw a code as would most anything else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. Swapped in new fuel filters and the truck has been running like a top. I havn't had an issue for the last 3 days. Cut the old primary filter apart and disected it. Pretty nasty. I'll have to start being particular about who and where I buy my diesel from. Also these fuel filters only had 7K on them. I'll probably start changing them out at 5K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Truck started surging again. This time we had the data from the data logger. The mechanic analyzed the data and the Ford engineer is having the mechanic replace the HPFP. Hope this solves our problems.

·
NOT AT THE TABLE CARLOS
232 Posts
It seems as though I may be experiencing a similar issue. However, surging probably isn't the best descriptor. Don't know about you guys but when I hear surge I picture an unexplainable increase in power. In my case I would describe it as an intermitent lull or cough in power. The frequnecy in which this is occurring is not enough for me to pin it down to a certain temp, weather, boost range, or rpm level. I can say that it only occurrs when lust before converter lock up and only when I'm putting along, never at times when I'm demanding alot of my truck.

My truck is completly opposite in regards to mods. 310, EGR DELETE, wastegate , blow off valve etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having same kind of issue, did it again today. my truck does not surge it just looses power and will not take fuel. it only happens when im lugging around and go to accelerate. the last two times its done it, it was raining. once it stops truck runs great with no issues. has happend four times since new, truck is stock 08 6.4 with fifteen thousand miles except for 4.5 icon and 35's. truck never throughs a code.

·
Registered
96 Posts
does this problem happen when its raining, or just stopped raining so the air is very damp?? there was an issue with the intercooler in regards with mositure. this problem has happened with my truck under these wet conditions when climbing a hill with speeds in the mid 30's just curious if you have the same problem because there is a tsb for it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now that sounds like we might be onto something, what was the fix?

Dale
Well after about three months of the truck in and out of the dealer we finally got it back a few weeks ago. They had if for a full 5 weeks to pull the cab and replace the hpfp. It seems to have fixed the surging issue. We've pulled the 5th wheel on several camping trips in the last few weeks and havn't had any recurring issues. Hope it stays fixed.

cwh

·
All questions no answers
87 Posts
This is a old thread, but I have a '08 F450 with these symptom's. I have a Spartan tuner on it, and I have been watching the rail pressure run fine, then it drops to 14k psi, and won't go faster than 61mph. I'm leaning towards the injection pump. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts